Make
Jeep
Model
Grand Cherokee
Year
Miles
Engine
V6
I have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with push to start. The dash lights up and all the lights come on when you try to start it. And you can hear the relays click but it won’t crank. I did recently disconnect the ignition switch. But I think this may be a coincidental issue. The dash says car not in park but it is in park and I’ve tried starting in both neutral and park. It has said not in park for a while now but has always started. I did notice while trying to figure out why it won’t start DTC U0002 was tripped but then it went away and there are no DTCs. Any thoughts?

grcauto

I'm thinking the transmission range selector may be having issues. Need to see what a scanner says.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I'm thinking the transmission range selector may be having issues. Need to see what a scanner says.
Simple way to know this is to creep under truck and physically put trans in park. Then try to start. On these jeeps, sometimes, it is just rust and age build up that puts the range sensor out of whack.

The u code has nothing to do with a no start, it is for traction control network/BUS/CAN line problem.

Unless, horrible as it may sound, you have a general BUS/CAN line failure, that may interfere with proper starting.

So actually getting under there is what any smart tech would do, manually put trans range senor in park, if it starts, u ok, but that u code will come back at some time, but u codes are hard to diagnose for beginners, a scope is needed to see glitches in the bus data line. And I am learning here that sometimes complicated doesn't help.

A jeep is high enough to crawl under, use a pry bar or flat blade to send gear lever home to the park range. If that is a no go, you can try to bypass ranger sensor and cancel it much like I did on one of my echoes when clutch switch froze.

Hope this helps, post back if you need wiring for that to bypass.

So, first, WE know the IPC and ECM and TCM are talking to each other, so that is NOT a U code problem, much like GRC said, suspect range sensor. I am just trying to help bypass to get to parts store to buy the damn sensor. It is and was a failing part back in the day, most parts stores will have those on hand, they fail often, so it is usually not a two week OMG I cant use my car kind of part. :p:fixed:

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Usually, when a range sensor went out of whack back when I was working for mopar, it would throw a p0705.

There is an adjustment for that. Google is your friend here, so is you tube. This is a total known situ, and simple fixes apply.

Here is an example video.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
You have a 2013, so you probably don't have the FIAT design mickey mouse shifter, plz advise on that, I am canadian, and sometimes, usa stuff is different than canadian sent cars/truck.

Do you have this shifter?

Cuz if you do, diagnosis varies greatly from 2013 to 2014, that was the year change to where I would have stopped buying jeeps. ;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
BTW, can some one plz explain why jeep still exists in 2020 and flaunting real 4x4 capability in the high end 4x4? Even the new rubicons need a scanner to do normal off road stuff when shyte breaks. Up here, a gool old jeep only needs a screwdriver and basic can do attitude to get you out.

Off topic maybe, maybe not. Just an afterthought on how mopar screwed yet another healthy division up by merger.

Had an infinity qx something on lift, all mercedes. If I wanted a mercedes ml350, I would have bought one. I wanted to buy a high end nissan, why does my dashboard look and smell likes mercedes?

As a pro tech, this is infuriating. To talk to the car, I tried nissan/infinty option, would not talk to car. Used mercedes application, winner winner. WtF?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
That means, what was once a nippon part to replace will be three times the cost, cuz it a mercedes parts # all across the whole platform, right down to HID lights etc.

After looking at the Infinity, I was just jaw dropped. When did this merger happen, and why do ppl buy these things. Is it consumers being stupid, or is it marketing using infinity exterior design, and filling it with cheap mopar mercedes/fiat tech?

Much like in 2014, when jeep and or regular mopar went all mercedes also. WTF. Since the mergers on that one, us techs are having a nightmare figuring which software to use, which trouble shoot to follow, one tsb leads to another, have to cross platform stuff and figure out what is what. They don't pay me enough for this. :mad:

Look at your basic soccer mom van from mopar. I can swap the driver side module off of a dodge grand caravan, and shove it in a c series mercedes, it fits, it works, but reprogramming is a nightmare.

This is not an end of rant, as NOW I am off topic of this no start. But I will still try to help once yousay you don't have the fiat shifter. Cuz approach is a whole lot different.