2014 Chevy Cruze turbo belt driven bearing squeaking 100K miles

JP

The saga continues...now the locally obtained auto parts store generic engine cooling outlet plastic POS has cracked and needs replacement; the original was replaced just last year. But it gets better...

For some unexplainable reason, he had a GM replacement part (same part!) that he didn't install and had it lying around. So...WTH...he had bought two of the same part and installed (with his shade tree mech friend) the auto parts POS part. Not that the GM part is likely to be that much better; after all the original is PLASTIC, for cryin' out loud.

Getting the full story is, of course, impossible. Sigh... Kids and cars. At least he's learned a couple things and saved a little money by fixing them himself/with a little help. I suspect a little bit of overtorquing was involved with the premature failure, but maybe it was just a POS part to begin with.

When they talk about that generation...he's now thirty...being internet savvy and being able to scour the internet for what they need to know, lemme tell you it ain't true for all of them. There's a Youtube available to diagnose and/or fix just about anything that can be shade-tree mechanic fixed.

Not to disparage you pro mechanics out there; you're worth your weight in gold! I'm glad he's learning at least a little about his car...finally...but at some point if one does not have the time or inclination to monkey around with their vehicle, one should use your guy's services.

<rant over> o_O

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yes, there are a lot of videos out there, but I perceive many of them are done by people that like to fuss with videos/computers, not machinery. You have to filter them with a whole lot of common sense, but, of course, "common sense" is what is lacking in the first place...

JP

Yes, quite true, and the quality of useful information varies. It's sometimes annoying to have 3 minutes of useful information scattered throughout a 15 minute video. Some Youtubers must like the sound of their own voice. ;)

But...also lots of good ones out there, thank you to those who know what they're doing.