Make
Hyundai
Model
Elantra
Year
Miles
Engine
Dont know
Employees car, she has issues getting it into reverse or first. Multiple trip to the dealer saying she does not know how to drive it, isn't depressing clutch all the way and on and on. Her dad drives it, same thing, her mom same thing.
Are there any service bulletins, helpful hints, suggestions, she is frustrated and other than this likes her car.80K miles

grcauto

Have you checked it? Give us some info.....

So first off the driver has had two vehicles with 5 speeds so she knows how to drive a stick.
This is her method of starting the car, depress clutch, start car, grab shift lever and go into reverse, grind........I then asked her to release the clutch while in neutral ,depress it again and shift into reverse and it doesn't grind. We tried this scenario going into either reverse or first with success. it's that initial start up then shift scenario that usually causes the grinding but not always. it randomly does it when tooling around town.
I haven't driven a manual trans in a while so I can't tell you what the clutch feels like but it does have at least 2 inches of play at the top and when releasing the clutch while in gear, the vehicle moves with the pedal just coming off the floor. She is second owner with 80K.
Dealer claims its fine, she doesn't know how to drive, they say. They can't get it to grind, well I heard it grind, sounds as if the clutch wasn't even depressed. Your thoughts.....

billr

wrench
Staff member
Clarify: does it grind going from any forward gear, or neutral, into first; or does it only grind going into reverse? Grinding into reverse is pretty common with manuals, I have never had one that did not grind going into R. The solution is to either start the car in R, clutch interlocks ensure the clutch is disengaged from the late 1960s on; or start in N but go into 1st momentarily and then back into R. I can't say that no cars have syncro into R, but that added cost and complexity sure isn't needed, so this trans may very well not have R syncro.

Grinding happens when the transmission input shaft is still spinning when the gearshift lever is moved from neutral and "into a gear". So, apparently the shaft fails to stop spinning when the clutch is depressed.
Try holding clutch pedal to floor for several seconds before moving the shifter. If it still grinds, there must be a problem that the clutch is not fully disengaging, or input shaft is binding in the pilot bearing.
You said "when releasing the clutch while in gear, the vehicle moves with the pedal just coming off the floor". Clutch engagemant point is typically somewhere near the middle of pedal travel. Make sure this is not a case of Floormat Interference.