2016 Trax driving intermittent miss under light acceleration, also at idle

JP

Now we're getting some progress.

I usually don't drive it, wife does. Started up, went about 3 blocks then began to miss. Very rough idle, very rough acceleration. Check engine light was intermittently flashing, and the traction light went on.

Haven't had time to check a code, but if the light was flashing, that set a code, right? Hopefully so.

My previously owned Buick Lesabre had the traction control light go on when I temporarily disconnected the EGR (while the engine was running) in order to get the plastic engine cover off. It went off on the next restart.

I know it's not diagnostic, but hopefully it is indeed the EGR, which is under a recall.

BTW, this is the worst it has ever ran (run?). Of course. Today a potential buyer was going to look at it. Murphy's Law.

Will scan it for a code this afternoon. Fingers crossed...EGR, EGR, EGR.

grcauto

Flashing CEL means catalyst damaging misfires. Need to fix them SOON so you don't ruin the cat bed.

JP

P0301 code set. Is this something that should be covered under dealer warranty? I don't want to take it in and get hosed when they tell me it's not covered.

grcauto

Depends on what it is and how many miles. I would swap the number one plug with the next cylinder and see if the problem moves.

JP

Taking it into the dealer today; looks like it would be covered.

But if were not...

Would it be a good idea to first swap ignition coils to see if it's a coil problem? It's likely either the coil, plug or both, right? Outside chance it may be the ignition module?

JP

Good call. It says right in the warranty information provided with the vehicle that the coil is an ignition part covered under the emissions warranty.

Dealer just called, said it's not covered.

WTF?

GM says one thing, dealer says another, demonstrating once again that these #*$^ing dealers are nothing better than a bunch of thieves.

$650. I'll do it myself for less than a hundred.

JP

BTW, it's a coil pack. Can the individual coils be swapped? Just curious.

This type of coil is a single unit, typically. No swapping. If the problem was a failed boot, that might be replaceable.
1578499793597.png

JP

Looks easy to do. Just ordered up a $75 coil and will get plugs from local auto parts place. Nobody at the dealer or Chevy warranty center could clearly state what was covered or not covered under what (Federal Emissions or B2B warranty). Warranty info. in glove box very poorly written. Wasted an hour on the phone that I'll never get back.

JP

I should have just taken it to my local go-to-guy for diagnostics. Actually, a P0301 code can only be a couple things, right?

JP

Next time I'm going to assume that pretty much nothing, with very few exceptions, is covered after the BTB warranty expires. Could have saved myself a lot of time and frustration seeing if they'd cover a repair which would cost me under a hundred bucks and an hour of my time.

It's funny how they say they won't replace plugs at 42K because they're a wear/maintenance item...yet the first recommended spark plug change is at 60K.

Yeah, I get it, in my case the plug or plugs were pooched by misfires caused by the ignition coil pack, but it seems like talking out of one side of your mouth to say something needs to be replaced at X miles due to wear when they recommend it to be replaced at X + (whatever) miles.

Looks like a half-hour job. Good think it's warming up this afternoon.

Random thought: Does anyone ever get...I don't know...maybe think differently about their car when it needs it's first out-of-warranty repair? Although I've owned this vehicle for 15K of it's 42K life, I've not had to do any repairs until. Now it's crossed over into the "OK, not I need to be prepared to start fixing things as it gets older" stage.

All sort of a moot point, since I'm selling it. Couldn't sell it with bad ignition parts, even when it was very intermittent, wouldn't do that to someone.

Last edited:

grcauto

All sort of a moot point, since I'm selling it. Couldn't sell it with bad ignition parts, even when it was very intermittent, wouldn't do that to someone.
You are an honest man. A good trait that seems to be waning these days.

JP

IMG_1304.jpg Yeah, really didn't need the code to figure this one out if I had previous experience with coil packs. First thing...disconnected and pulled off the coil pack...minus the #1 cylinder boot. 20 minute leisurely fix, could do it again in 10 without gapping plugs (they came pre-gapped). Top 10 most easy first-time fixes I've ever done.