jigfeett

Make
Ford
Model
Escape
Year
Miles
Engine
My son has a friend whom has a 2017 ford escape AWD and it has a clunk in the rear sounds like right rear (passenger) side.
It happens mostly at slow speed when turning and I thought I saw the tire kind of jump when it happened as I watched her drive.
Anybody hear of such a thing on a very much new car?
I see a lot of posts on other blogs.

Could be shocks, differential, bushings, links, or I even read tire rotation ( I can't believe that one) but ????

I even read that some dealers have even said it is characteristic

1590506796111.png
YOU FORD

a new 36,000 mile car should not have a CLUNK as a characteristic!!!!

I hope the dealer helps her out..

I would like to hear more about this if any of you have run into this problem.

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
Have you checked to see if it might be a cv axle maybe the boot got ripped and the grease is gone and making it bind up...Jim

NickD

wrench
GM Dealer laughed at me like crazy when my Chevy made a terrible noise with 36,001 on it, you are out of warranty. Hope Ford doesn't threat this woman like this.

AWD with a clunk sure sounds like a CVJ clunking on a slow turn, did run across one where the boot was good, but someone forgot to put grease on the inside of it.

I call it limited lubrication, engine belt drive components, timing belt components, ball joints, tie rod ends, hub bearings., u-joints, stabilizer bars, gear shift linkage, even the steering wheel bearings and power window gears.

They call it lubricated for life, what, 36,000.01 miles!

Use to be 10 bucks for a new boot with grease, then the price jumped to 40 bucks each or 80 bucks for two new boots, but can buy a rebuilt half axle with two new boots on it for around 50 bucks. Knew the CEO of a half axle rebuilding company, told me 99% of the half axles just needed cleaned and new grease. He said only 1% required resufacing, and had an expensive piece of equipment for that, replied, why even bother.

jigfeett

Thank you I have not heard back from them on it but I will ask later today.
I did not see any ripped boots and when I tried to shake the half shaft they felt solid. The only thing I did see was a lot of surface rust like the car spent the first years of its life on the East coast, all the cast iron parts heavily rusted. I did notice that the sway bar link bushings looked worn but it was lifted up with suspension hanging.
As always keep the answers coming.
Thanks

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Actually, worst way to check looseness in sway bar bushings and links are to be hagnged. Best way is on a rack or on level ground unpsrung, have a helper grab upper door sill of side checking and have them SWAY the car, rock back and forth sideways, that is the best way to hear the clunk of those parts. These are extremely fragile on these pseudo suvs

NickD

wrench
Kid had a Ford, sway bar links were about a foot long, use to buy those by the dozen. But you normally do not get much sway when turning slowly.

With AWD have to block all four wheels up in the front under the ball joints, back where the trailing arms are attached, to all four wheels are off the ground, but the wheel are in their normal loaded position. Starting the engine and putting it in gear, can see all kinds of sins.

More traction translates into a lot more problems. And with those luxurious interiors, more for 5th Ave than in the wild.

jigfeett

Thank you, I still have not heard back from her on what the dealer said. I just hope the dealer does the right thing.

NickD

wrench
What I have heard from certain dealers that I didn't want to hear, time to trade it in for a new one, or, dey all do dat.

Or a 36 month warranty plan with a 60 month payment plan.

jigfeett

Thanks, dealer is replacing bushings and under warranty!!!! I hope it fixes it.