Make
Ford
Model
Focus
Year
Miles
Engine
2.0 L
Vehicle generally starts and runs well but has intermittent stalling issue. Usually happens in traffic after driving a while (like 10 miles) when car begins to run rough a few seconds won't accelerate (like limp mode) and stalls. After sitting a few minutes will start and continue driving. Initially had codes P0087 and P008A and changed fuel pressure sensor. Continues with same intermittent stalling issue no more than once daily and sometimes does not occur for several days. Recent codes P008A and P00C6 with Forscan. FLP psi was 62 and 68; FRP was 313 and 339 psi (not sure what rpm was at that time). Checked with Ford and no recalls needed for this vehicle VIN. Considered fuel filter but would anticipate more consistent issue. Any help appreciated.

NickD

wrench
With any new vehicle I purchased spark plug gap were all over the place, don't listen to any BS, world is full of it, gap them at 0.025 inches. Also not torqued properly.

I only use synthetic oil, 91 octane top tier ethanol free gas, EPA says my car is good for 39 mpg on the highway, getting 51 mpg. When you had to completely remove all the brake parts with proper lubrication, just about any vehicle, including Fords come bone dry. Heck with one brand new Ford could not remove a rear wheel rusted on solid. Neither could the dealer, had to replace the entire rear end, was a T-Bird with a differential.

Brake drag is so common with these things and your economy sure suffers. Can get 1,500 psi to apply them only about 2 psi to release them. Had to add silicone to all the lamp sockets, if you don't, heat bakes on the rubber solid and you will never get them off.

With all this rain, code says gas station tanks installed under ground, water leaks in, have to be very careful where you by your gas. With by hot wiring your fuel pump with a fuel pressure tester, and pump that water out with dropping the tank.

With flashram, never get the code right the first time, have to go back in a year or two to get an update. Could not do this with PROM, would cost them 99 cents a chip plus postage and would take a monkey to replace that chip.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Are those pressures you posted from an actual gauge, or from the PCM via live-data? I would want to have a gauge (or some independent sensor) connected to observe/verify pressure while the problem is occurring. Likewise, at this point I think it would be wise to have a voltmeter connected across both wires right at the pump to see what power the pump really has to work with. Who knows, maybe even an ammeter for the pump current?

paulmj

Are those pressures you posted from an actual gauge, or from the PCM via live-data? I would want to have a gauge (or some independent sensor) connected to observe/verify pressure while the problem is occurring. Likewise, at this point I think it would be wise to have a voltmeter connected across both wires right at the pump to see what power the pump really has to work with. Who knows, maybe even an ammeter for the pump current?
Pressures are live data from Forscan. Actual problem is quite intermittent to verify pressures when it happens. Are you talking about low pressure or high pressure pump voltage and amps? Vehicle has pump under hood as well directly to fuel rail.

paulmj

Apologize for copying that reply x3. Sometimes that happens when I am using Tapatalk on my phone.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Does FORscan log data for later review? If not, you may want to consider using a different SW that does. Poring over logged data doesn't guarantee success, but Intermittent problems can be so tricky to catch that you want all the help you can get.

I know nothing about the design of your fuel system, but would focus on pressure etc. of the high-pressure pump. I expect that is the crucial pressure to maintain, and that any problem with the low-P pump would show up in the high-P.

paulmj

I recently started using Forscan so I will look for stored data. I thought it may be the high pressure fuel pump but what has had me puzzled is the intermittent part...problem doesn’t even happen everyday. If it happened More often I could see pressures or voltage issues. I have another scanner and I will see if I can see anything in freeze frame data when codes occur. Thanks for your help

billr

wrench
Staff member
Alas, intermittent problems can be very elusive. Many folks embark on a mass part-swapping exercise rather than try to systematically trouble-shoot. And, frankly, that may be the only practical course in some cases; but I encourage you try the systematic way first.

Right now you only know that the PCM is reporting fuel pressure problems. The root cause could be a pump, a sensor, wiring/connectors all over the place, or even the PCM itself. Also, all the plumbing for the fuel system... including the tank and all its venting stuff. That could be a lot of parts to "throw at it"1

NickD

wrench
Major problem in Wisconsin is water in the gas, plenty of rain, but not as much down south with that recent hurricane. Water is heavier than gas and depends on how much, when driving get a little mix, but worse when the car sets for a while

Quick solution is with a fuel pressure tester with a drain valve and hose. Find your fuel pump relay, can short out the contacts to keep it running, I drain in a two quart jar and let it settle. Gas goes back in the ditch, water, well that's my secret. Sure causes erratic engine operation. Claim couple cans of Heet works.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, try this chart first, has all the codes you have and should help pin down this without me being retarded again.

You can use your forscan to see all the pids you need I beleive, I am not used to working with forscan, I just hacked the software for older usage tests for various elm devices. So my experience is limited with the software slash device, but I am good with pid data. SO, follow this chart to spec and highly recommend be patient, ford is a long beast to boot real time live data. I use autels mostly as my workhorse.

Attachments

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If ever you encounter a yes no that changes chart, I will post that as we go along this diag. Cuz if I post them all at once, I will just end up posting britanny spears videos and being of no good.

I am assuming you have all the tools for mechanical checks. yes?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So important here is to monitor mode 6.

so if your now getting a p00c6 code, that means the mode 6 saw the test passed for your p0088 low fuel rail pressure codes.

Screen shot of what I mean. So at this point, focus on the p00c6 code if the mode 6 saw the other ones passed.

See monitor sequence. Mode 6 give valuable insight to the vehicles ecm algorithm strategy. Screenshot (23).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
posting mode 6 data for the specific codes in screen shot will help me see the hex codes I want to zoom in on and relate to you. If that made sense?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If you dont know what mode 6 is, forscan will surely help here, I know for a fact it gives it. So find it and then in case you dont know what mode 6 is, it is by far the best way to know what your pcm is doing as it test it self and you complete repairs for pesky intermintants like this. You use mode 6 in conjunction with oem pid data, so switching back and forth may be a bitch, but in long short time run, cost less as all you do is monitor data before swapping parts that may be useless to fix the actual issue.

Here is a cool article to read if your not familiar with mode 6. Once you read it, go to you tube or similar, look for scanner danner vids, or other