Make
Ram
Model
big horn
Year
Miles
Engine
6.7 turbo
I received a recall notice on my Ram 2500 about the drag link jam nuts could be loose and cause the adjustment sleeve to separate. I checked the jam nuts before taking it into the shop and were tight. they told it needed welding, 'weld jam nuts to sleeve.' If the jam nuts were loose they were to repalace the entire drag link assembly. I called Ram got the same thing just weld it. so much for future wheel alignments. What do you guys think?? I checked them again and marked a line with a white paint sharpie so I can take a look from time to time and see if they come loose.
Not to be a crook, but I should have loosened the jam nuts a bit to make sure the assembly got replaced instead of welding.
Recall is V06/NHTSA 19V-021

billr

wrench
Staff member
Post a picture of what that joint looks like, but I can think of several options without even seeing it:

1) If the dealer didn't weld it, then it might not be in the Chrysler system as finished per the recall. Just "wait" until the nut does obviously loosen and take it to another dealer.

2) Drill a corner of the nut for lock-wire.

3) Back the nut off a bit and then re-tighten with plenty of LocTite 680 or similar. That is really fierce, much stronger than thread-lock, but the nut can still be moved later by applying heat from a propane torch.

cw41

thanks billr, here is a pic of the adjuster w/jam nuts. those nuts are about 1 3/4" size dont have a wrench that bit used my 12" & 15" adjustable cresent wrench to make sure they are tight. I agree to use locktite instead of welding. I've seen a couple posts on the cummins forum and several had were welded jam nuts. Sloppy way to fix a problem and creatae a future one. DSCF0135.JPG

billr

wrench
Staff member
If the Loctitie 680 isn't readily available, use JB Weld. It is epoxy and will also let loose with heat from a propane torch.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I don't know if in the U S of A if it is illegal to weld suspensin parts. But up here, that is a huge no, no. It is law, and my apprentice card just went out the window.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Maybe I am reading this thread wrong, maybe too many hrs at shop. Anyway, formation for two days. I will talk to the techs if all of the above is kosher under canada transport lobbying.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, now that I have said to much. What company in their right mind would state the following red outlined phrase,

I worked for two dealerships. I did some funky stuff for warranty purposes. But welding sleeve nuts is unheard of. That is probably the best way to piss the alignment guy off. Oh, and loose a perfectly good class "A" tech work permit.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, after reading the recall, I am retracting my suggestion to lock those nuts with anything. I don't think lock-wire, Loctite, JB weld, or anything else is suitable for ensuring that link won't come loose. Frankly, I don't think even the recommended welding is suitable. My reading of the recall is that some parts have improperly machined threads and have insufficient thread engagement. The parts must be replaced!