Make
Acura
Model
TLX
Year
Miles
Engine
4 cylinder
So, where do I begin. A while back I observed a little oil on the bottom of the pan, looked like it was running down the passenger side of the pan. Acura dealership diagnosed it as a crank shaft seal. No problem....covered by extended and was replaced. Few weeks later I get under the car to inspect and find more oil....looked like the same leak. Diagnosis was "the oil pan needs to be resealed". Cool...I assumed the pan would be dropped and "resealed". Dealership called to say the car was ready and so I asked if they had changed the oil.....if so I wasn't going to change it again based on my last change, but rather 4500 miles from this change. I was told that "the tech said that we didn't lose enough oil to need to add any". Huh, well, ok. So I ask later about this "resealing" word. What does that mean? Did they drop the oil pan? How did they reseal it? The tech said that "there is no gasket, it just gets sealed". There is that word again. Picked up the car yesterday. Today I get underneath to inspect and find more oil evidence. I also notice that the sealant that oozed out is the same factory sealant.

So I call the service manager and voice my concern. First of all, I see absolutely no evidence of new sealant....would be very obvious. I see no evidence that the oil pan was removed....none. What I feel they did was seal the area that appeared to be leaking with a bit of Hondabond hoping it would surpass the extended warranty period. She did pull the procedure for what was done and admitted that it called for the removal of the pan and reseal with Hondabond. She also oversees the Infiniti service dept and told me that Infiniti uses a physical gasket whereas Acura uses Hondabond. The tech, I am told, while he is not Acura certified, he possesses many certifications and is fully qualified to perform any Acura repair. OK, so is there a potential for this guy to do it "different" than an Acura certified tech? She claims no.

While I write this post she is following up with the tech and will get back with me today. I will admit that I am not a mechanic by any means....slightly more knowledgeable than a fifth grader but nowhere as knowledgeable as the technicians.

Am I not seeing something obvious??

grcauto

wrench
You MUST drop the pan to do the fix. They did not fix it.

ChevyDude

You MUST drop the pan to do the fix. They did not fix it.
I agree. I certainly know what fresh grey sealant should look like. Not trying to get anyone in trouble, but geez man. But yet they billed Acuracare for the repair.

ChevyDude

Update: The service manager reported back and in full disclosure admitted that the tech did not drop the pan. I had to push to get an explanation of exactly what was done for which I am still not clear. She spoke of the "upper oil pan". Which is what? But I essentially asked if he smeared Hondabond to the seam from the exterior and she claims that is what he did. Honestly, I see no fresh Hondabond. A rogue employee is always difficult to manage. My confidence and trust in this dealership has evaporated. At this point I really question the origin of the leak.

grcauto

wrench
Thst is not a fix. It will leak soon after an external patch is applied. That will never last.

ChevyDude

Thst is not a fix. It will leak soon after an external patch is applied. That will never last.
Oh trust me, I do agree with you there partner. Very disappointed....never ever would have expected this from the dealership. I am going to partake in the diagnosis....I am really wondering if the lead is coming from the valve cover and running down. When they refer to the upper oil pan, what exactly are they referring to?

ChevyDude

Not that I recall. I am going to put the car on ramps today and get underneath and make another observation.
Update: Just put the car on ramps and yes, there is a spacer between the pan and the block. Is that the upper oil pan? I searched very hard to find where the tech smeared Hondabond. Turns out it appears that he smeared it around a bolt on the timing chain cover, upper left side facing the pulleys. While I struggled to find the origin of the oil, I removed the tire and that provided me with a new vanish point and it appears the oil is from the right front corner where the lower pan joins the upper pan. There is no evidence of smeared Hondabond, only fresh Hondabond around the bolt I mentioned. Acuracare paid $365 for the removal and reseal of the oil pan. Cost without the warranty would have been $550. It bothers me to the core that this tech did this. Guys like him give the good guys like you guys a bad name. Any suggestions on how I should handle this?

billr

wrench
Staff member
"Acuracare" is like a health-plan for the car? I would contact them, they are the ones who lost money here, with no benefit for you. Regardless of who at the dealership initiated this "padding of the bill", all are benefiting from it to some extent and have little incentive to seeing that it is discontinued.

ChevyDude

"Acuracare" is like a health-plan for the car? I would contact them, they are the ones who lost money here, with no benefit for you. Regardless of who at the dealership initiated this "padding of the bill", all are benefiting from it to some extent and have little incentive to seeing that it is discontinued.
Thanks! Point taken. I feel like I should at least get extended warranty coverage for the repair(s) in question performed by this rogue technician. Do you think that is something that either the dealership of Acuracare would do?

billr

wrench
Staff member
I wouldn't assume the tech is the "rogue" here. The concept of minimizing work actually done may come from the top on down. I don't think either the dealer or A'care will extend the warranty period. The best you can hope for is that the job is re-done more thoroughly/correctly.

grcauto

wrench
Update: Just put the car on ramps and yes, there is a spacer between the pan and the block. Is that the upper oil pan?
Yes, and they should have dropped it all and sealed it. That is the only real FIX.

ChevyDude

I wouldn't assume the tech is the "rogue" here. The concept of minimizing work actually done may come from the top on down. I don't think either the dealer or A'care will extend the warranty period. The best you can hope for is that the job is re-done more thoroughly/correctly.
I have a draft letter to Acura Corp office in the works. This is fraudulent and plain ole theft IMO....charging for work that was not performed.