2018 Honda Civic Scraping Sound...from transmission????

RickyBubbles

Make
Honda
Model
Civic
Year
Miles
Engine
?
Pulsating light metallic scraping sound that varies with speed and not changed by braking. Sounds like it's coming from the left front wheel. It sounds like the kind of noise a brake backing plate would make scraping something, but everything is like new on the front wheel. Local Honda dealer took it for a run and said it was the transmission. My daughter's car. She can only find 2 of the required 3 "oil change" receipts so Honda says "no warranty" even at 25,000 miles. Doesn't sound like a transmission sound to me but ?? Thoughts?

billr

wrench
Staff member
I assume those three required "oil changes" were for engine oil, not trans fluid, correct? I can't image Honda would require even one trans fluid change in just 25K miles. Escalate this to the Honda "regional " level.

NickD

wrench
The 2018 Honda Civic Sedan makes three transmission choices available, either a 6-Speed Manual, a Continuously Variable (M-CVT) Transmission or a Continuously Variable (LL-CVT) Transmission.

Been hearing a lot of complaints about the CVT that stands for a continuously variable transmission. very common in snowmobiles. Two sheaves driving one compresses the sheave halves together, spread apart a idle, driven is spring loaded Centrifugal weights bring the driving sheave halves together that decreases the over drive ratio for higher speeds.

Snowmobiles use a rubber drive belt and you must carry a spare, will break and leave you stranded if you are too strong on the throttle. Vehicles are using some kind of steel belt, this is beyond my comprehension. Heard lots of complaints about belt noise.

The Hondas I purchased all had a manual transmission. But replacing the clutch was a long weekend job because the entire transaxle had to be removed starting with half axles rusted solid in. But at least they were quiet. Actually put over 200K miles on several by driving them sanely.

Depending on what's available will cause me to look elsewhere. Ha, wife asked me to look at a Subaru Outback with that four cylinder oppose engine, power train warranty was only 60K and at that time, had to replace what looked like a mile long rubber timing belt. Looked up the price, drastic and an interference engine, didn't walk away, ran.

Back in the 50's a new four speed hydramatic transmission was 150 bucks. Completely self contained, today, got rid of all those speed controls and shifting and replaced with just the clutches with a hydraulic valve controlled by an 89 cent microcontroller, but want both arms and legs for a replacement. That microcontroller had its own box, but to save on that box added it to the ECU that also costs both arms and legs to replace.

NickD

wrench
Another seemingly problem with compact vehicles are poor motor mounts that squeak with torque changes.

Use to know how to design motor mounts, but maybe they forgot.