46re wont shift out of 1st

I work with UAVs so it pretty good but i got thinking, i had read that if you disconnect that relay and drive it and you can narrow down if its electrical or mech. So i think thats were the P1765 came from.

kev2

wrench
it is still a issue we must solve- if the circuit was bad before, removing the relay would not change anything.

UAV's if you are USAF we can do - if navy........ I WILL GO SLOW and draw pictures.

using a test light and a wiring diagram - are you ok with that?

nope a contractor. Well with disconnecting the relay threw the codes and the battery got disconnected to clear the codes and my ole man drove it around and did the ignition test again and they didnt come back.

kev2

wrench
the manual lists 3 likely causes of this issue- Rev and low gear only.
1) the relay circuit - that was my guess, anyway easy things first
2) valve body malfunction - you claim its a NEW VB - so eliminated that -
3) Front Servo/Kickdown Band Damaged/Burned... not so easy and another reason to DBL CK #1

sorry about the misunderstanding of "new" it was a used one but new compared to what i had. My bad about the misunderstanding.

bp042665

hunting nut
also if you got a manuel lev er code i would check that also it tell the pcm what gear your asking for if it dont read D but Low then you will only get low gear with no upshift

billr

wrench
Staff member
Remember this in the OP?

"We put it on a scanner and all the popped up was p1899 P/N which should have nothing to do with this."

I didn't bother to look it up back then, but did just now. That code is for "P/N safety switch misread", or something to that effect. I think that would have an enormous influence on trans shifting!

kev2

wrench
a quick look, It is not just P/N it appears to be a 'Transmission Range Switch (TRS) Sense Circuit' fault.

And again my trouble tree starts with connect DRBIII - maybe someone has a trade trick to test.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Remember, OP, you aren't manually shifting actual gears or even all the control valves. You are shifting that range switch that is an input to the PCM. If the PCM has inputs for both P/N and a driving gear, then it gets very confused. You are lucky it moves at all.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Whoa! Many times those switches are adjustable, and need to be adjusted when installed. Let's give more folks a chance to chime in.

Edit: besides, that code doesn't mean the switch is bad, it only indicates that circuit is giving bogus input to the PCM's CPU. Could be a connector, wiring, PCM, the switch... or the switch adjustment.