46re wont shift out of 1st

Im just tring to wrap my heaed around it. All i can find that the switch does is:

Supplies power to the Park/Neutral starting circuit

Switches/supplies power to the reverse lamps

Supplies electrical signals to illuminate the gear range indicator lamps on the instrument cluster.

all of you have been a great help and I thank you and I'm not arguing nothing but I want to learn and understand all this.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Keep in mind that the P/N "switch" probably isn't a separate component, it is almost always just one of the many electrical contacts in the range (gear selector) switch. Gotta ask, have you checked the trans linkage to see if that switch/lever is even being moved when you "shift gears"?

Not physically look but if i have park neutral reverse and only first that would tell me that its rotating. Am i wrong on that assumption?

jasonn20

stickerflicker1 said:
So i bought a valve body off a transmission place online and its identical from the one i took out.
This is scary can you give a link to the valvebody you bought..??

billr

wrench
Staff member
Sure, you are probably right about the shift lever on the trans is moving OK. However, if you haven't looked down there yet, how do you know there isn't a cable to the range switch that is dangling loose?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Was the "new" VB rebuilt, or just an advertised-as-good item?

bp042665

hunting nut
also this transmission has a electrical governor and is a common problem . this can go bad but be in spec so no code i see it alot and it will give shift problems with out a code so if you can get live data you can see if it is working and also the p/n switch and gear camand

kev2

wrench
Come on bp - I was hoping for ANYTHING that does NOT require a scanner.....

It is getting SO bad everything is STEP 1) connect DRB, TECH III, STARTSCAN, etc etc.. the old days of DIY gone

welp i think im going to have to take the VB out this weekend and test the electrical componets and then take the VB apart and check for stuck valves ect. Not exacty what I want to do but looks like what I need to do. Thanks to All of you for your thoughts and your experience.

billr

wrench
Staff member
With this being OBD2 and a common vehicle/trans, a scanner or PC link that displays live data shouldn't be all that expensive; I don't think the OP would need something "high end" like the Tech III to get a lot of useful info. Unless than VB comes off easy, without draining the fluid (like the Saturn TAAT), then some more investigation is going to save time, money, and frustration.

Hey guys i had the VB gone threw and reinstalled to night and same ish. Im going to check power at the transmission Solenoid. I have a good connection but could that be my issue? Im to the point were i think its electrical but my sensors ohmed out good. The VB was put together right so i know thats not it. Heck, junk for Jesus is sounding good at about now. Any thoughts?