Make
Dodge
Model
Ram 2500
Year
Miles
Engine
5.9 gas
I have a freshly rebuilt 46re with a shift kit and all new electronics that won't shift out of first. I know this has been discussed before but the solutions I have seen are not fixing my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

grcauto

What are the solenoids doing?

As far as I can tell they are working properly. All are brand new, and using the upgraded governor pressure solenoid. I have checked for the 5 volts at the connector and it is there I also have proper grounds. Not sure if there is something that was done wrong in the valve body as I did not do that work myself. I have also taken the trans back apart to check the internals for proper clearances and to make sure the clutches and apply pistons were correctly installed and still does not shift out of first.

bp042665

hunting nut
ok everyone over looks the Kick Down Cable I just had 1 at my shop that was fraid Internaly and when I disconnected it from transmission and pushed the lever forward it went to shifting but shifted early

I adjusted the cable and had a helper watch it at the transmission side and it was moving when I moved the throttle.

bp042665

hunting nut
ok you could have a stuck 1-2 Shift valve in vale body can you read live data and see if computer is commanding the 2nd gear shift it could be some thing as easy as a speed sensor but you need to see live data to figure out what the sensors are doing verses the computer is commanding

I thought this could be possible also. Last night I took the valve body from my other truck and swapped it out and same results. I'm running out of ideas on my end and do t want to pay a transmission shop to diagnose my issue.

grcauto

Do you have a good scan tool? How do you determine the module is commanding the solenoids correctly? I don't think they are.

billr

wrench
Staff member
It can be done without live-data, reading voltage/current to the solenoids with a multimeter (maybe more than one required!), but that is a lot harder and trickier to do. I, too, urge the OP to get live-data- capability.

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought a snap on veris scanner to check it with. And I found the output speed sensor is not showing any rpm when truck is moving. This is disappointing because that sensor is new as well as the rest. I'm going to ohm out the sensor tomorrow and perform a continuity test on the wires associated with it. I will let you guys know what I find. And thanks for all the help and suggestions.

bp042665

hunting nut
that's good to hear about it is a easy fix for about 25.00 dollars because if it don't know how fast your going it will never shift transmission use live data at my shop and get to the root of problems with transmissions faster . if sensors don't give right info then the computer don't know what to do

Well I got a new output speed sensor and no change. I found that both wires going to the sensor would show continuity when testing them together and when testing them both to ground. With the truck on I get 2.5 volts on both pins. I know this should not be the case. When I disconnect the harness from the power control module the wires no longer show continuity. I had another computer from an identically spec truck and it does the same when I plug it in. I am definitely lost at this point.