Make
Chevy
Model
S10
Year
Miles
Engine
4.3 Vortec
I have a 2003 S10 4.3 123,000 miles 2WD with a 4L60E I bought it last summer. I have no service history of the truck.

I want to service the transmission by performing a drain/fill and a new filter I do not want to flush the transmission. However I am stuck on whether or not I should even touch the transmission at all because I do not know if the transmission has ever been serviced before and if it was serviced before I do not know what transmission fluid was used during servicing.

The transmission shifts good, the truck feels strong, I do baby it however I have got down hard on it a few times just to see if it had any kind of slippage and no slippage and it didn't puke its guts all over the ground so that's a good thing.

The transmission fluid does not smell burned it is still a light pink/light brown mix I have attached a photo of the fluid on some paper towel. To me I think it looks pretty clean for 123,000 miles in a very hilly state so I think it may have been serviced before but I do not know I am no transmission expert.

So the big question is does this transmission seem like it is safe to service with just a drain/fill and new filter?

And if so what fluid should I use because again I have no idea if it has been serviced before so I do not know if it has the original Dexron III or if it was serviced before with Dexron VI.

I was considering Valvoline Dex/Merc or AC Delco Dexron VI as the options for fluid.

12.JPG

grcauto

Drain and filter is good on it. It could be a lot worse.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I would stick with Dex3 there are some GM transmissions that are not as happy with Dex6 as the Dex3 they originally came with. I don't think the 4L60E is one of those, but why chance it? The two are completely compatible, so no worry if there is some of one or the other left in there

paulo57509

After I rebuilt my 4L60E a few years ago, I refilled with Dex-IV. GM no longer licenses Dex-III ATF and don't I care for the one-size fits-all type ATF's (just personal preference).

You probably have some kind of Dex-III/Mercon/Max-Life mixture in there already; I'd be inclined to stick with some kind of Dex-III.

MrUnknown

After I rebuilt my 4L60E a few years ago, I refilled with Dex-IV. GM no longer licenses Dex-III ATF and don't I care for the one-size fits-all type ATF's (just personal preference).

You probably have some kind of Dex-III/Mercon/Max-Life mixture in there already; I'd be inclined to stick with some kind of Dex-III.
I will probably go with Valvoline Dex/Merc which is Dexron III plus it is $13 a gallon so that is pretty affordable I believe I only need 5 quarts for a drain/fill so I will pick up 2 gallons and use the rest of it on my other vehicle power steering which calls for Dexron III.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I will probably go with Valvoline Dex/Merc which is Dexron III plus it is $13 a gallon so that is pretty affordable I believe I only need 5 quarts for a drain/fill so I will pick up 2 gallons and use the rest of it on my other vehicle power steering which calls for Dexron III.
I think I am in a repeat mode of using the word grief as I might get grief from our trans guru BP.

So here goes, my preferred method when I dont have a service machine on hand, use the cooler lines to do a full flush. A partial flush is exactly that, it is partial.

It is quite wasteful, but as Mr unknown wrote, it is only 13 buck for a 4 liter, yes I am canadian, we don't do gallons.

so for 26 bucks, should have a full flush once red comes out the outlet of trans cooler line. Advice, have an apprentice handy. :cool: Use the apprentice for holding the outlet line in bucket slash drain pan, that way you stay clean. :D

billr

wrench
Staff member
I routinely weed those out every morning, but tend to get here later than you due to time difference and me being old and sleeping-in later.