4L60E shifting hard please help

wyattr02

Well thank you all for trying to help me, I think I will try to get the cooler lines cleaned out and go from there.

wyattr02

Well my friend said it had a trans slip code but someone said none of the codes I listed were transmission related.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Don't waste time/money on cleaning the cooler lines, it is extremely unlikely that will have any effect!

Do take it someplace else to get the codes read and recorded for you accurately. Be sure to specify that it needs to be scanned for "extended" codes that include the trans codes. Even if you have to pay for such a scan, none of the FLAPS in your vicinity will/can do it for free, it will be a far better use of your time/money than fussing with the cooler lines. Like BP said, "P1870" gets set for nearly any hiccup of the trans; we are expecting that, at least. Yes, the codes you reported have nothing to do with the trans...

paulo57509

I got the codes from him. po161, p0440, p0449, p0463.
None of those codes are transmission related.
P0161 = Oxygen O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2)
P0440 = Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction
P0449 = Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
P0463 = Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input

My brother owned a 1998 Chevy Astro that had an intermittent HARD 1-2 or 3-2 shift after it accumulated a lot of miles. I always suspected the plate was peened and there was either check ball leakage or a check-ball-stuck-in-the-plate situation that was causing this.

I do know these plates take a beating. Example of the accumulator spring wear:

Last edited:

wyattr02

I have been told about a different transmission guy in my town and I am planning to take it to him when I can. Work is crazy right now so I don’t know when that will be exactly. Thank y’all for your input and time.

miketx

I have been told about a different transmission guy in my town and I am planning to take it to him when I can. Work is crazy right now so I don’t know when that will be exactly. Thank y’all for your input and time.
Just for grins disconnect the battery and wait a minute then hook it back up and see if it works.