Make
Dodge
Model
Grand Caravan
Year
Miles
Engine
Hello community,

I'm a beginner and doing a repair of 62te Chrysler transmission, it's my 3rd transmission I'm working on. The problem was with converter slip code.
I did a vacuum testing of the valve body using Sonnax docs, and not sure if the reading of Solenoid Switch Valve is acceptable - it doesn't provide particular values for 62te. The rest of the readings are within the range.

The plugs area gives me 15" Hg
1717624881758.png

I replaced plugs with Sonnax 92835-02K, but it didn't change anything - still 15" Hg.
But my biggest concert is that Solenoid Switch Valve reading gives me only 10" Hg, but docs don't specify exact threshold value for 62te.

1717624748214.png

I assume it's low, just want to confirm my conclusion. Also I found out there is an oversized valve available, but the tools from Sonnax will cost me around $500 (F-92835-TL32 and VB-FIX). Please, give me a direction what to do next.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I assume the Sonnax test procedure is to apply a specified vacuum pressure at some port and then read what you get at those other places. Are you sure the "applied" vacuum pressure is being maintained during testing?

If you post a link to the Sonnax procedure, so I can study it in full, I will be able to better understand what you are doing.

valshin

I assume the Sonnax test procedure is to apply a specified vacuum pressure at some port and then read what you get at those other places. Are you sure the "applied" vacuum pressure is being maintained during testing?

If you post a link to the Sonnax procedure, so I can study it in full, I will be able to better understand what you are doing.
I build a replica of a Sonnax Vacuum Test Tool using this video. It shows 25" Hg when fully closed and 5" Hg through 0.035" calibration hole.
Testing guide from Sonnax. Measured 10" Hg in the area, shown in the second image of the original post.
Solenoid Switch Valve instructions. Doesn't include 62TE vacuum values, but shows 16" Hg for all other models.
Solenoid Switch Valve Plug Kit instructions. Doesn't include 62TE, but 65RFE looks similar. It was hard to block the passage between the plug area and the valve, i used some rubber piece. My reading is 15" Hg which is a little below expected 16, but it can be because I didn't fully seal it. The testing area is shown on the first image of the original post.

Note: posting of this was delayed because it has those links. We are suspicious of spam (or worse) when a newbie posts with links, so it went to an "approval queue" which had not been checked recently. billr

Last edited by a moderator:

valshin

i always replace the switch valve in this unit it is always bad sonnax has a drop in kit for this
Could you please point me to it, what I see on Sonnax website is only oversized version 92835-21 or 92835-32K which requires reaming. Drop in are only plugs 92835-02, which I already replaced and it didn't change a thing.

valshin

Hello, I replied to this message yesterday, but it wasn't posted due to http links presence in it. Will try to update it later from my PC.

billr

wrench
Staff member
See reply #3 above; especially my note in red added to it.

The links work now, but I don't see anything in the Sonnax info that defines the vacuum test adequately. I have not viewed the vidoe yet

Last edited:

valshin

See reply #3 above; especially my note in red added to it.

The links work now, but I don't see anything in the Sonnax info that defines the vacuum test adequately. I have not viewed the vidoe yet
The very first link is about the Vaccum testing procedure. Long story short - the gauge should read 25" Hg of negative pressure when is fully sealed and there is no leak and 5" Hg when there is a leak equal to 0.035" hole. So if you have badly worn valve it will show reading closer to 5" Hg and when it's close to perfect condition - close to 25" Hg. The vcacuum (negative pressure) is maintained by vacuum pump.

bp042665

transmission guy
ok did you get the sonnax #92835-02K Or 92835-39K kit if you did and have the same problem you might want to get there updated valve body it comes with all the sonnax upgrades in it

valshin

ok did you get the sonnax #92835-02K Or 92835-39K kit if you did and have the same problem you might want to get there updated valve body it comes with all the sonnax upgrades in it
I did install 92835-02K, it didn't help. Now I think what is better - get an upgraded body (Sonnax CHR412), or tools to fix mine (F-92835-TL32 + VB-FIX + 92835-32K) - it's about the same price - about $500.
Also I found there is another option from TransGo, which is much cheaper - about $200.
Guys, what would you recommend?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Have you driven it much since fussing with the VB? Did the same code come back (and what is it)?

I would check the price of a VB from Central Valve Bodies (Tulsa, OK); would trust one from them

valshin

Have you driven it much since fussing with the VB? Did the same code come back (and what is it)?

I would check the price of a VB from Central Valve Bodies (Tulsa, OK); would trust one from them
About 200 miles, the code was coming repeatedly, one time the car even started to stall when I was coming to stop.

I got the car from IAA with hydro locked engine, replaced the engine, while it was removed replaced torque converter (got one from RockAuto TC REMANUFACTURING) and drained the fluid. After the assembly I filled the transmission with Mopar ATF+4 and drove it for about 100 miles when I got first p0740 code. Cleared the codes and drove ~50 miles more - the code come back. Connected a scanner and noticed then when CC Cluch is applied the converter slips 800+ rpm. Ordered Pressure transducer, TCC and pressure regulator solenoids from Transtec, dropped the valve body, completely disassembled and cleaned it, including solenoid pack - all the valves and screens inside were clogged. Assembled back - still have no lockup. Now I'm here - the transmission is completely disassembled, I replaced all the bushings (Sonnax and Durabond), got Transtar 132004P Master Kit kit with frictions and pistons, new Precision Torque Converter, now working on valve body and want to do the job properly to not come back again.

Last edited: