Steinkebunch

Make
Ford
Model
Escape
Year
Miles
Engine
I rebuilt a 6F35 in a 2014 Ford escape. It had 126K on it. Full rebuild with torque converter and valve body zip kit. After rebuild, my line pressures are way high in Drive and Reverse (around 300 psi), and the pressure gauge needle bounces like a spring. It does drive, but sometimes slips as line pressure is erratic and occasionally drops below 30 psi (though not in the video). I have replaced the valve body and shift solenoids thinking that perhaps I messed up the zip kit, but that has made no difference. I removed the valve body several times to see if some grit was seizing a valve, but all are free. I am certain that I have fluid levels correct, and the proper fluid.

I have attached a video showing line pressures in different gears.

I have a nagging feeling that perhaps I reassembled the pump incorrectly. A spring and valve backwards or something. I don't know that for sure. I’m looking for thoughts before I choose to remove and tear it down.

Appreciate any ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_1019.mov
    50.3 MB

grcauto

wrench
Not sure about that trans but I've seen where a separator was not installed correctly when doing the valve body. Are you sure it's together right.

Steinkebunch

Thanks for replying. I really feel there is only one way to put the separator plates in given the alignment pins. I’ve done it at least 3 times, and replaced the gaskets 2 of those times. Once I even bought a new valve-to main body separator plate.

I’ll consider that thought more though.

bp042665

transmission guy
ok first off did you do a reprogram so it will relearn all the value's if not i would start there i always do a reprogram after all rebuilds on this also you always have to do a relearn the shifter position after a rebuild also

Steinkebunch

On the first rebuild I did not reprogram because I used the same valve body. When I got the same results with the new valve body, I assumed it was not a programming issue. I will do a reprogram and post back with the results.

Thanks.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Adaptive trans are the norm now days.

My first adaptive trans was a BMW bs. Loved and hated the car.

Besides the point. Everything in regards to any kind of overhaul in this day and age needs a reset. Point blank

Steinkebunch

I believe I can can use ForScan to do this. At least update the solenoid strategy and a few other things. Will
Post back when I get that done.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Just wondering, what adaptor slash dongle are you using. Because I read that forscan is now on a new software that now supports windows 10 etc and will have limited functionality if you are using a elm327.

So for thread interest, plz post which dongle, and which version of FORscan you are using.

That way, if someone has similar problem and wants to buy the software and hardware they will know what actually works. Thx in advance for your time. This thread is starting to get interesting

Last edited:

Steinkebunch

Ok I tried to update the solenoid strategy with Forscan 2.3.26 and a Vgate VLinker FS USB dongle. It allows me to begin the strategy change, but when it goes to download the appropriate solenoid strategy from Ford, it fails because it can’t get the file. From a web search, others have had the same problem and apparently Ford requires a subscription to do this.

I really question if this is the problem, as 2 different valve bodies give the same high and bouncy pressure problems, including the original valve body (albeit with a zip kit installed). Yet I’m the novice and I am here asking questions, so I will resist thinking I know better because I’m asking the experts. I will now try the second strategy reprogram option in Forscan, which requires nearly the same Forscan steps but instead of using Ford download files it requires driving while in Forscan. Will update after I try that.

Thanks. Will post back.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I, too, am a transmission novice, and no nothing about this specific type trans. However, I am also suspicious of some problem beyond just the PCM program. I would expect the default PCM program to operate the trans reasonably well, with "adaptive learning" only to smooth out shifts and compensate for slow/normal wear in the trans parts.