Antp

Make
Chevy
Model
K1500
Year
Miles
Engine
I bought this k 1500 manual 3 days ago nice truck pretty well taken care of just needed an alternator however the speedometer the tachometer and odometer do not work at all. I have read on it could be the vss idk if the year has drak or not but I can’t afford to buy parts left and right . As I’ve put so much in it already but this bugs me everything else works flawlessly on cluster. Except a short on the dial to turn the lights on the dash you have to play with it for the sweet spot but then the ac light shuts off when they do

NickD

wrench
Most common problem with the alternator is the slip ring brushes wear out in around 100k. Front bearing can be removed, seal popped off, but it is peened in, I just drill can countersink three holes and use #10 flathead screws with Locktite to hold that bearing back in. Other wise you pay $$$$ for a replacement.

This was an era for electronic dashes and a voice saying your door is a jar. On some I found with a florescent display, the inverter transistors were burnt out, not easy to find what kind of dash this is, whether its electronic or analog. Was so much problems with all electronic, quit making them, but you will find more than one cold solder joint.

All replacements panels on the net, 90 to 400 buck range dependent on the warranty. Some came to be rebuilt, but some used preprogrammed microcontrols that GM does not sell, have to buy the entire dash.

Does your gas and temperature gauge work, most of these, oil pressure was a joke, 2 psi oil pressure switch when closed, oil pressure gauge was about halfway with a fixed resistor in series with it.

As I recall, the warranty back then was only one year or 12,000 miles whichever came first. Met people with a dead dash and the dealer wanting 600 bucks for a replacement that would barely last another year. Really helped the Japanese sell vehicles in this country.

grcauto

Here's a wiring diagram for you. I have most anything you might need. Just holler.
DSC_0003.jpg