92 accord overheating

bigo

My accord is overheating, and noticed the cooling fans do not come on. But when I turn off the engine then the fan comes on ?? I replaced the relay in the fusebox , but it still does the same problem !! Any ideas ??

2POINTautO

The fan is controlled through that relay, the relay is controlled by three other items, the main computer, a fan timer unit and coolant temp switch "A".

The fan relay (coil portion) also gets its power from the fan timer unit. Two terminals at the relay connector should be 12 volts, check it please with engine running, hot & cold.

How long will the fan run once the key is turned off, I think it should not run more than 15 minutes max. A little more info please.

bigo

Fan stays on for about 6 min.. Since then I have replaced the relay, sensor by thermostat, and the sensor to the computer. ( with parts from a junkyard) And problem still continues. Where is the 'fan timer unit' and what does it look like ??

2POINTautO

Can you verify two hot teminals at the relay (relay pulled out) with the engine warm and the fan not working as you say please, I will look up the location of the timer.

csaxon

Define your overheating problem, indications, symptoms etc. A fan isn't going to cure a real overheating problem.

bigo

Engine was getting 'hot' ,and i replaced the water pump, (timing belts) and thermostat. I also flushed the system, untill I realized the cooling fan was not coming on?? How ever when I turn the engine off, (before it gets too hot ) , then the fan comes on for 5 or 6 mins.

2POINTautO

If you pull the connector and short it with a paperclip and if the fan does not come on then the timer is bad, if the fan does come on then the Coolant switch 'A' is bad, I would want to clean the ground also. The switch is working when the motor is off.