93 cadillac eldorado aldl connector

I am having a problem helping a neighbor with his car...93 eldorado,4.6HO VIN9....I can't get my scanner to work on it...I have checked all the fuses in the under hood fuse box and the one in the trunk...all the fuses are ok...checked the connector...the ground is ok, but there is no power to any of the terminals....also the cigarette lighter does't work...I know on older ones the connector was powered by that fuse...I checked the fuse for cigar lighter and it is ok...I think I am missing something here or just losing it in my old age....any one have any ideas where I can check..thanks for the help....Jim

there is a way to display DTC's on cadi's using the DIC - (driver info system)...

Try this link http://z-cut.de/US/dtcobd1.html ............... tonight at home I will dbl ck my OLD OLD cadi info

you did try with KOEO?

Hey Kev...I can access it through the driver info thing...guess I didn't tell the whole story...LOL....on the driver info display...it says traction control disabled.....also the abs and antilock light is on....I am trying to get the lights off so he can sell it...took it to a friends shop that had a snap on scanner for the abs codes and his scanner wouldn't communicate with it...I am guessing cause there is no power to the diagnostic connector....thanks again....Jim

billr

wrench
Staff member
I know the Caddys can be odd-ball, but generally speaking none of the OBD1 systems supply power through the ALDL. All the OBD1-capable scan-tools I have seen/used have provision for connecting to external 12V, usually via the cigar lighter; and often that connection isn't anything on the scan-tool really, it is on the specific adapter plug/cable for that vehicle and the 12V comes into the scan-tool through its normal (OBD2) power pin.

With my old 92 DeVille, self diagnostics was very useful for everything except ABS, was slow, but worked. List of ABS codes wasn't very long, most dealt with the wheel sensors, opened, shorted, ABS and pump relays, ABS pump.

Just pulled the ABS module connector to check out the wheel sensors with an ohmmeter, on mine, the two rear resistances where high, dirty connector, RF wheel was completely opened, only way to repair that was to replace the entire wheel hub, wheel sensor was integrated into that hub with glue. Rest I could test manually. Unlike other GM ABS systems during this era, could reset the ABS with a jumper lead on the diagnostic plug. This one, had to repair the problems first, then it would automatically reset.

Never got my hand on a GMtech scanner with that ABS module, so never played with the diagnostic test. If the ABS light comes on with the ignition and stays on, is a static problem, more than likely a wheel sensor. On mine the sensor plugs were short and exposed to all kinds of road salt, just cut those out and hard wired them. Not like you are going to change a wheel sensor every five minutes.

If the ABS light comes on at 8 mph, ABS or pump relay is defective, those contacts get dirty.

Thanks Bill...I believe you are right....the OBD1 has no B+ like OBD2......Hey Nick...thanks....I think I will unplug the connectors for the wheel speed sensors and ohm them...you are right...these are molded right into the hub...what should the redings be when I ohm them?....thanks again for the help....Jim

Oh gosh, memory is going to hades, was around 1,000 ohms each, most important thing is, that they are read about the same. Can also find hidden connectors, not like a sensor vehicle connector goes directly to the ABS module.

Ok...it is fixed......checked the front sensors....LF was .775...RF was .778.....went to the left rear to check it and the sensor was unplugged....plugged it in and drove it and the lights are out....thanks all for the help....Jim

Jim: You deserved an easy fix like that considering all the help you have given all of us over the years with all the data you have supplied. .

Thanks, Jack

Thank you Jack......I appreciate it....I am glad I can help out on here.....We all need help on here sometime..Well...I have one happy neighbor...didn't cost him a lot of money replacing parts......Jim

Must be on your 2K Ohm range for reading like you received, .775 would be 775 ohms, sounds about right, was around close to 1,000 ohms, but this was done years ago.

Nice to go out and find a disconnected connector or vacuum hose, but can only wonder how it did get disconnected. Did by any chance, did that ABS light stay on after an oil change or some other kind of work?

Reason why I am asking this, a friend came over about 15 years ago with an ABS light, he took his SUV into a shop to get a tire repair. Whether accidental or intentional, good question. But was told his ABS modulator was bad and would cost 900 bucks to be replaced. It was also a disconnected sensor connector. Your reply triggered an old memory. What about your neighbor, was he told about the same thing?

He just bought the car a few weeks ago....the lady he bought it from just had new tires put on it....I see what you mean....now wondering why she would put new tires on and then sell it....hhmmm...maybe it got mysteriously unplugged and they gave her a crazy price to fix it so she decided to sell it....naw....people don't really do that, do they Nick....Jim

Could have told my friend, they are right after finding the problem, but I can replace it for 500 bucks, leave it overnight. Reconnect the sensor, spray some black paint on the modulator and be 500 bucks richer.

But then I wouldn't be much of a friend, would I?

billr

wrench
Staff member
It's a slow morning, I'll add mine:

A few days ago my son took his car into the dealer for servicing (oil & filter). When he got it back he was advised the tires all needed to be replaced and one was even worn down to the cord; $550 for the set. I took a peek, none were down to the wear-bars, so still legal to use and repair. One did have cord showing, on the inboard sidewall, but it was not wear, it looks like a fresh knife slice to skin off the rubber without cutting into the cord. I took a piece of large electrical wire and showed my son how you have to hold and use a knife just right to skin off the tough insulation without digging into the conductors; and how the marks left look just like the ones on that tire. I also advised him that a major tire dealer, a block away from the auto dealer/servicer, will put on good tires for $350 a set.