94 F-350 351wt ick on startup

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, I must say a lot of info! Anyway, I have a 94 F350 with a 351w in it, this motor is a longblock, that we installed about 1 year or so ago. Evere scince the 1st start up, the oil pressure does not rise until about 15 sec after start. [longer in the cold up to 30 sec] Now I have been told it could be a bur on he pump or just a weak pump. This winter while driving with the plow on temp was about -10 the oil pressure stared to drop to almost nothing. I stopped ad check out the levle, everthing seemed ok, temp also was sitting ok. Now I changed the oil and filter immeadiatly and started it back up and still had the same problem, oil press was still low. I parked the truck for about a month or so figuring on putting a new pump in. well when I started it up again [a month later] the oilpress sat at it's normal position. I am kind of stumped on this one. 1st question, the ticking at startup? Is this a grave concern. and the second, should I just replace the oil pump? and is there anywhere else on this moter I can get a perssure reading besides behind the timing cover? [I have stuck a mechanical gauge on this to check out the start up ticking] and get the same results with machanical as I do with the factory.. any suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks!

simple things first, before we do any overhaul replacement etc.
you need to get a TRUE reading of oil pressure, a mechinical gauge, the dash units are inadaquate,

ALSO
The ticking on start up, be sure to use a quality filter some brands were notorious for bleeding down and causing first start of day ticking.... Wish I had a link to that article maybe someone will post it.

Jim Davis

Dont have a link to an article but I mentioned a good while back about some Dodge pickups I was seeing problems showing lower oil pressure when using Fram oil filters.