94 toyota camry v6 error code 500 ,720

I have a 1994 Toyota Camry v6. i am getting a check engine light of the error codes 500 and 720. usually after a rainstorm, when i start the car the speedometer jumps up to 30 mph and slowly goes to about 10 mph even though the car is in park. then when i drive to work it will miss a shift and display the error codes. i also had transmission fluid on top of the vehicle speed sensor. i removed the vehicle speed sensor and cleaned off the transmission fluid and connector reinstalled in the transmission and the car was fine until the next rain. i don't see any water leaking anywhere. any suggestions? ??? :-[

Paul

I'm The Decider
Those two codes are basically the same.Is the wiring connector to the Vss secure,is its seal ok?Other than a leak,about the only way trans fluid can end up in that area is if the vent is spews it out.Make sure the vent is clean.Have you checked the trans fluid level?

the fluid is fine,the level is OK,and the connector is still dry from when i cleaned it.today when I started the car the speedometer jumped up to 40mph then slowly down to zero it took about a minute. then I drove to work the over drive lite flash the codes but the transmission shifted OK .

Paul

I'm The Decider
Does the speedometer register accurately?Without some testing,I would day its either the Vss or the speedometer itself causing the trouble.

where would the transmission vent be on a 94 Toyota Camry automatic v6 and where can I find out if the 4Cy has the same vss as the 6Cy .I can only find the part number for the 4Cy it is 83181-12040 ,

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Call the dealer for the VSS, there are too many crapo ones on the market. You may have to give the VIN so he can get the right part for you. Good Luck and Post back, Transman

csaxon

Look down at the trans, the vent looks similar to arrow highlighted hole. The part# you gave was used on 4 and 6 cyl . I would still check with the Toyota parts guy because it was updated in 1995.

thank you for the photo I am going to check the vent and call the parts guy thanks

hey guys
I replaced the speed sensor with one from Toyota Avalon 1997 6Cy . I think they are the same part. the car shifted OK but i still have the check engine light and codes 500,720(I reset the check engine light before e testing the sensor.)the speedometer some times jump to 20 mph went I was standing still . any ideas.