95 saturn sl1 door handle

How do you remove the outside door handle?
I can depress the outer pin, but how do you get the inner one off?
I've broken two junk yard handles trying.

I need to remove the outer shell to gain access to the interior frame.
Took a pry bar to a junked one, and got the panel off, only to find everything is bolted from outside inwards.

Is it by accident someone would design something this stupid. Or is it the make you take car to dealer
just to get a stereo speaker installed.
Robert

RickMN

You need to remove the door trim panel and work from inside the door. If you can't get your hands to all the linkage, the best bet is to unscrew the entire door latch assembly, unhook the linkage from the interior door lock and the electric actuator and remove the entire package.

Unfortunately, you can't take the inside panel off from the inside.
The door handle resides in a metal bucket sheet metal screwed from the outside.
You would need to raise the panel about 3-4 inches to clear the bracket. To insure
this doesn't happen there are two 3 inch pins on the trim panel that can only clear the frame
by pulling straight out from the door. Both movements can't happen together.
So outside going in is the only option, to remove the bucket so panel can be removed inwards.
There is no cutout on the inside to gain access to the outside door linkage, it is solid metal frame.
two holes, factory speaker and inside door handle, You can't even get at it by removing the
door latch from the side. Only way in is break interior trim, or remove outside panel. Door handle
is the only thing that blocks the latter. I can remove the left outside pin, but the inside one with
the handle in the way does not budge, I was hoping for some idea, or tool recommendation on how to
get it loose. Final option is dremel cutting wheel, and replace them. Dealer parts have the handles for $12.

Any auto glass people out there, window replacement would also need to be done from outside.
My speakers are blown, and I want my talk radio back!

Jim Davis

on the outside handle, lift it up and look under it, there will be 2 pins, push in on the center of them with a small punch or small phillips screwdriver and push them out. handle should come off then and you can get skin off.

Slackware said:
Unfortunately, you can't take the inside panel off from the inside.
The door handle resides in a metal bucket sheet metal screwed from the outside.
You would need to raise the panel about 3-4 inches to clear the bracket.
You must be looking at this wrong. The interior door panels can be removed inthe traditional manner. I replaced the complete interior of my Dad's Saturn in under 2 hours (all 4 seats,door skins,parcel shelf,etc.). The handle part can be moved either forward or back, can't remember which, and then pryed inside so as to unhook the rod to latch assy.

No I used pry bars and removed panels from a junk yard, now they did go to a normal door in later years, (96-97)
At the top of trim there are 2 glued on plugs to keep you from removing from the inside, at least in one piece.

But there is a plastic plug on the right side that locks the handle onto the lever, so it needs to be destroyed to
allow the handle to pull free. I ripped the head off of the plug and stuffed it into the cavity, then all is well.
Will have speakers installed tonight, and then i'll see if the plug can be bought, or i'll just use a sheet metal screw
or leave open.
This speaker replacement is going up there next to car alarm installation, it wasn't this much trouble adding power
windows to my rx-7.

Slackware said:
No I used pry bars and removed panels from a junk yard, now they did go to a normal door in later years, (96-97)
At the top of trim there are 2 glued on plugs to keep you from removing from the inside, at least in one piece.

But there is a plastic plug on the right side that locks the handle onto the lever, so it needs to be destroyed to
allow the handle to pull free. I ripped the head off of the plug and stuffed it into the cavity, then all is well.
Will have speakers installed tonight, and then i'll see if the plug can be bought, or i'll just use a sheet metal screw
or leave open.
This speaker replacement is going up there next to car alarm installation, it wasn't this much trouble adding power
windows to my rx-7.
Well, this must be a special Saturn as I worked at a Saturn dealer in 1992-1993 and they all came off from the inside. Your explanation is unclear. All you want is to remove the inner door panel to install new speakers? If that's so, you gave yourself a major headache in removing the outer door skin. There was no need to. BTW, my Dad's Saturn is a 94 SL1 and I removed all 4 door panels within 30 minutes,from the inside only!

Interesting, how did you get the door handle pocket out without tearing the trim?
Did Saturn use a different design on 2 and 4 door models maybe? I pried the trim off
of 3 at the junk yard, all were the same, two like mine, and the 3rd was a later year that
worked like a normal door.

It resides in a metal bracket so you can't pull it outwards. The top of the panel has two
posts that will not allow it to move upwards only out.

But since I need access to the interior of the door frame, the outer skin needs to be removed since
there are no cutoiuts on the inside.
The skin comes off very easy, the only headache was the door handle, just unscrew the 10 bolts, pry
up the weatherseal on top lip, and it falls off. Now that I know it is a plastic plug blocking
the right hinge side from being released, that also comes off, although I needed to destroy the plug getting it out of the way.
If the rain stops today, i'll finish the job, and go see about getting the plug from dealer tommorrow.
Now that I see how it comes off, and since it is only $25, I might just put the electric window hardware in, guess I'll
look at the wireing harness to see if it is worth the trouble.