95 T100 with MIL PO336 engine starts but goes into fail safe?

1995 Toyota T100 base model: 2. 7 engine, 205k miles, standard (stick) transmission. It is showing a code of PO336 which is "crankshaft position . . . . . . " the engine dies a few seconds after starting. If I increase the rpm by stepping on the accelerator for about a minute or so, then I will be able to drive it without the engine stalling.
I recently replaced the distributor shaft O-ring to fix an oil leak & forgot to mark the rotor's position, therefore, I had to reset the timing. In doing so, I guessed (short cut &/or lazy)the rotor's position for no. 1 cylinder by aligning the crankshaft's TDC mark. When the engine failed to start, I knew it was 180 degrees off and corrected the problem. The engine starts alright, but dies a few seconds after. . . repeated starts the engine always starts, but dies later until the engine is warmed?
I think the ecu (computer) is going in fail safe mode, shutting off the fuel to the injectors after the engine is started. How do I correct the problem? or is it something else? please help.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Do I understand correctly, this started right after you put the dizzy back in; it has never run correctly after that?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
screw this, do you have a have engine light on? If so post back!! To get check engine light code for this old shit box you must bypass two pins. Unless you do this don't bother posting forth.

Yes, the problem of engine shutting down right after it starts. Engine will start and will not continue running, but if I press on the accelerator raising the rpm for about a minute, it will not shut down and perform normally.

billr

wrench
Staff member
OK, let me try wording this differently... did the engine operate normally before you removed the distributor to change the O-ring?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Shit, I was at it again, PWD!!

Not good for patrons here!!

In 1995 the OBD2 system was not still globalized and toyata were trying their damnedest to keep up. This is not a true OBD2 code and you should follow this trouble shooting chart. In pdf format for you.

I don't know how you got 336 cuz it don't exist for the T100 in after market databases. Mitchel or ALLDATA. If you have a Toyota OEM scanner for that year that does OBD2 connectors, I am willing to buy it!

Anyways, here is the chart for you to follow. I hope you have access to an oscilloscope or a good led functioning test light.

[attachment deleted during maintenance]

billr

wrench
Staff member
Rolly, please confirm you got that P0336 with a scanner, and advise what scanner (make and model) was used. As nickb2 said, '95 is kind of "no man's land" for knowing if it is OBD1 or OBD2.

According to my source, P0366 is for crank sensor range/ performance. Detected condition is...

Deviation in crank sensor signal and cam sensor signal

Trouble areas could be...

Valve timing...Distributor installation...ECM

This code will activate fail-safe function, stopping the fuel injection.

Looks like you need to properly install your distributor, buddy! I would suspect you are one tooth off, if the dist is non-adjustable.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I was kind of thinking like Danica, that the cam sensor is part of the distributor and it is off in relation to the crank sensor because the dizzy wasn't put in right.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Nickb2, you are posting info on the 3.4L engine, and Rolly stated it is 2.7L; are they essentially the same? I think I have figured out what "PWD" stands for now.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah Bill, I started drinking again!!

Damn!!

So kay.

I ain't kilt anyone yet and my car stays in the driveway any time I ouch a bottle.

But my gentlemen responses of before are suffering from my bad habit!!