96 Accord LX Oxygen Sensor - Help

S

Sam

Hello,

My engine light came on today while I was driving. I went to Autozone and they connected the ODBII analyzer and said it was the oxygen sensor. I purchased one and installed it to exhaust manifold - that’s the picture they showed me. I disconnected the battery and reconnected everything with the new sensor and I still have the engine light on. I was looking online and was unaware there are two o2 sensors. The good ol folks at Autozone did not inform me of this and just sold me the first part on the list. My question is... did I put the wrong sensor in the wrong place? I looked on their website and the part description is "Sensor located before catalytic converter" I swapped this 02 sensor on the exhaust manifold. Secondly, How can I tell which O2 sensor is bad?

- Thanks for your help,

Sam

Jim Davis

First you need to get the exact code that is causing the light to come on and let us know what it is. Codes just dont say "change the O2 sensor", not the way it works. Also let us know a little more about your car, engine, trans, mileage, etc.

2POINTautO

There is nearly a dozen different codes for your O2S system, and I am not sure if disconnecting the battery will work on a mandatory OBDII car, '96 and above, check this site troublecodes section near the top right of the page. If the problem does get fixed, the computer should reset the code automatically if the problem is truely fixed. This may take several drive cycles??????

csaxon

Jim Davis is correct. Codes only indicate an invalid response to the expected programmed setting. It could be a bad connection or terminal, an internal broken wire in the O2 sensor circuit. The code saves diagnostic time by getting you looking at the invalid response sensor's circuit.

Hello!

Sorry for the delayed reply. I went back to AutoZone and the ODBII error is P0141. He printed a picture out for me showing this as Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2. It shows it located directly on the exhaust pipe right before the catalytic converter. I looked and could not find anything in this location. I did find an O2 sensor on the catalytic converter but that shows as Bank 1 sensor 3 on the picture. Where can I find this sensor on my LX, I think this picture might be for another model (shows two manifolds)…. Is there any other procedures I should follow?

- Thanks

2POINTautO

the O2 sensor is probably causing the MIL despite testing OK and the factory emissions warranty on this model has been extended to 14 years or 150,000 miles, per Honda Service Bulletin 98-081 refer to the local Honda dealer, The dealer should install a new sensor at no charge. As I undestand it, warranty coverage on 96/97 Civic & Accord is 14 years/150,000 miles, 98/99 models get 8 years/80,000 miles. The Honda dealer has a copy of SB 98-081.

I have seen this code a few times, test the heater circuit first and get a new one for free if it tests good, someone here will help with test procedures, its in the archives if you want to search for it yourself. O2 heater circuit, post O2 sensor (#2).