96 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 a/t ASD relay fuse blowing up

fernando658

A couple days ago I received this vehicle with the owner complaining that the engine cut off any time while driving
and would not start back up again because a blown ASD relay fuse . Once a fresh (25A)fuse was installed ,engine started back up again normally. This keeps happening all the times. According with ASD relay fuse electrical diagram....this circuit feeds B+ to the ignition coil,the injectors,and the heater circuit of the O2 sensors (upstream and downstream).
It seems that the problem is more prone to happen when engine is revved up as fuse blows up when the engine rpms are on its way down. I replaced the coil pack (because was available),trying the spare coil pack.... when engine revved up , blown fuse and problem still there. Also MIL came on , checked with scanner codes P1389 P1388 come up, which are related to cranking engine several times after ASD relay fuse has blown up.
I thought i had a bad coil pack shorting out inside. Then I tried unplugging the o2 sensors just in case of sensors heater acting up taking too much juice and blowing the fuse. But still the same. Could it be one of the injectors ?...or the ECM was seeing something it did not like and taking too much juice @ ECM pin # 6 ASD relay output making the fuse to blow up.

Please If someone can help me ,your input will be greatly appreciated.Thank you FERNANDO>

Mobile Dan

wrench
Check to see if the wire harness is rubbed through near the trans dipstick tube or on top of the trans case.

fernando658

Thank you Danica for your quick response.......I'll post back any results to your suggestions.Thank you again FERNANDO.

fernando658

DANICA: You were right on . Visual inspection to the area you suggested....guess what....Bingo .....I found some exposed bare wire (dark green/orange) that feeds B+ to injectors,rubbing against the trans fluid dipstick tube.Most of these wires were like glued to each other (exhaust pipe connecting manifolds run right under that bundle of wires) probably due to the exhaust pipe heat.
I 'm still working on this vehicle,replacing a leaky radiator,so once I put everything back together I'll take this truck for a spin just to make sure it is fine. I 'm confident everything will be back to normal....FIXED. fixed
I thank you very much for your HELP. FERNANDO.

PD. I took a few pictures of the visual inspection that show very clearly what I found . I don't know if I can upload these pictures.It would be very useful for others who encounter the same problem.I dont' know how to use the insert image feature. fixed