'96 Mazda Protege LX Speed Sensor

Dax

I have a 1996 Mazda Protege that needs a replacement Transmission Speed Sensor. I have the part already, I just have no idea where it goes. If anyone could provide some assistance, I'd really appreciate it.

(Pics and/or diagrams will be most helpful.)

Dax

It's the 1.5, sorry.

That helps with locating it, but could you be more specific? The engine compartment is kinda tight, would I have to remove anything to be able to reach it? Or should I jack it up and try from underneath?

billr

wrench
Staff member
That picture is for the turbine speed sensor, is that what you are talking about, or are you after the vehicle speed sensor? Both are on the trans. Gotta ask, why are you replacing it, did someone else do thorough trouble-shooting and determine that it is bad?

You are right Bill..that is the wrong one....I agree...has it been diagnosed as bad....it says remove the battery and air cleaner assembly to remove it...should be right on top....Jim

Attachments

Dax

I haven't had a mechanic actually look at it. I just picked the car up the other day. The transmission doesn't know when to shift into the next gear. If I try to drive it in Drive, as soon as I go beyond 20 MPH the tach goes CRAZY - like, all the way to 8k. I have to drive it like a stick right now, which I know isn't good for the tranny.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I'm suggesting we start over in trying to help you... any codes set, is the CEL known to be operable?

I know nothing about your particular vehicle, but I do not understand why you want to replace the speed sensor when it is the engine RPMs that are going crazy. I also do not understand why you think it is hard on the trans to shift it manually. I have never heard of that.
As Bill says, lets start over with what you know, what the problems are, and what, if anything you have done.

bp042665

hunting nut
manual shifting a automatic is not hard on it in fact the newer transmission and car's are all going to what i call the slap shift where you manually shift themand im a transmission mechanic

kev2

wrench
Agree - lets get some information and the CEL is where to start.

manually shifting an automatic - we used to PAY for that - anyone remember? I think B&M manual valve bodies for racing.... @1970s

Dax

I don't know a whole lot about cars. What I do know is the problem I explained above. The guy I bought it from said it was the trans speed sensor, and I know that I have the part, and I want to try to put it in on the off chance it fixes it. It was throwing a code, but it got cleared and it's not showing back up.

What would cause the transmission to act the way it does if not the sensor?

Dax: Don't overlook the possibility that the guy that sold it to you bought that part and found out it was something else way more expensive and therefore decided to sell the car.

Dax

I managed to find and change the part, and y'all were right - it wasn't the sensor. My next thought is the transmission filter. Would that cause the problems I've described?

billr

wrench
Staff member
We are floundering here! I agree, get a thorough scan for all codes, including trans, hidden, and pending. It's hard to understand how this can be happening without some diag code being set. (Too bad you didn't note the one that was set and then cleared!!!). I also agree that we should be talking about the tach issue, it may very well be that the trans is fine. When the tach goes nuts does it fluctuate up-and-down rapidly; does the engine speed stay steady, or is it changing rapidly along with the tach? It's hard to believe the engine rpm is actually bouncing up to 8K, so I'm thinking it is only the tach. And again, which trans "speed sensor" did you change? There are probably two on that trans/diff case, the VSS and the turbine-speed sensor. Don't waste too much time on that last question, the root-problem is probably something to do with the engine speed (tach), like in the crank-sensor circuit...