96 Subaru Legacy Vacuum Diagram : MAP error code P0106

CraigE

I recently had the heads off a 96 2.2 liter Legacy to repair a misfire code that I believe was related to the exhaust valve guides backing out,and loss of compression in #3 cylinder. I now have a P0106 MAP code which I believe may be related to a vacuum hose problem. Only because I have MAP voltages between 92-99 while running and 0 with KO Engine off. So I think the MAP is working but maybe not correctly. I think maybe I routed a hose wrong. Any other suggestions for this code? A diagram of the hoses would be welcome if anyone has access to one. Thanks CRAIG

billr

wrench
Staff member
Clarify for me: "MAP voltage 92-99", is that a reading on your scanner, maybe in %? MAP sensor voltages are usually in the 0 to 5V range, no way would I expect over 90V for an auto engine system! How about key-on, engine-off, what does that show; or is that what you meant by "KO Engine off"? Sorry guys, to me "KO" could be either Key-On or Key-off... If you are seeing "0" MAP (either V or %) with key-on Engine-off, then I don't think it is a hose problem, as all vacuum hoses would be the same (100% MAP) with the engine not running.

CraigE

I see numbers between 92 and 99 when running. I need to verify what the units are. I loaned my reader out to a VW friend with another problem. With Key On engine Off I see a zero. That makes me think that the MAP is working and I suspect a hose problem since I had all the vacuum lines off for the head removal. Thanks for the input. CRAIG

billr

wrench
Staff member
With key-on, engine-off the MAP is 100%, regardless of where on the engine (except a brake booster or other vacuum reservoir) you have it connected. Either that scanner is actually reporting "manifold vacuum", not MAP; or the MAP circuit is bad. Could be sensor, or wiring, or PCM. More diagnosis is needed.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Looking at flow chart for the P0106 code, the scan tool should read in kPa. If the sensor reads more than 85 kPa with key on engine off then inspect the vacuum hoses for cracks, clogging, and also check the filter, it may be dirty or clogged, should be on top of the sensor. If all is of, there is a test connector next to subaru diagnostic connector under dash. Connect the test connector together, there should be an audible click from the vacuum switching solenoid next to map sensor, if it operational sound comes from it and all other checks are good, replace sensor.
#4 is the test connecter I'm talking about.

[attachment deleted by server]

billr

wrench
Staff member
I see from the latest posting by nickb2 that this may not be a true MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. I'm going to back out of the thread a bit so as not to confuse things any more...

CraigE

Thanks for the diagrams guys. It looks like I had a hose switched so I reset the code and will see if the CEL stays off. CRAIG