97 Isuzu Rodeo overheating problems possibly a blown headgasket?????

Joe69

1997 Isuzu Rodeo V6 3.2 engine 120k 2WD. My friend had a fender bender and crashed his left front end while driving and the radiator broke on the lower part and he kept on driving the truck for at least 10 minutes with the car overheating until the truck just turned off by itself and towed it home.

He went and bought a new radiator and I managed to install it after streightening the body a little
and when we fill the water on the radiator, the water just falls of from the lower part straight from where the water pump is located. I checked the oil dipstick and its clean, it looks the normal color. How can checked if the headgasket is blown. When the truck overheated is it possible that the water pump was busted. You can start the truck and run it for a few minutes without any water and move the car.
I have no idea on how to tackle this problem ???
and any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks Joe!!!

billr

wrench
Staff member
To me, there are two issues here. If water is flooding out near the pump, then a careful visual inspection should show where it is coming from; a cracked part or torn hose or... Overheating probably wouldn't ruin the pump, but if the radiator was jarred enough to make it leak, then certainly something else might have been damaged. The bigger issue is that it was driven, overheating, until it stopped running of its own accord. That could mean the engine seized, and the damage caused could be substantial; a bad head gasket being one of the milder considerations. Some thought needs to be given to how much more life is expected from this engine and how much money they want to put into it. Checking compression would be a good idea, and if it is DOHC then you can probably get a boroscope in the cylinders to check the condition of the bores. Block-test kits, that detect combustion gas in the coolant, are fairly inexpensive, but you probably should get it to hold coolant first. Does anyone know if this vehicle has an overtemp safety shutdown for the engine? That would be nice, but I suspect it seized... If you can get it to hold coolant and it runs OK, then I would leave it alone and hope for the best, as it is not an intrinsically valuable vehicle.

Connie

FISH ON!!!!!!!
my experience with these have been that rodeos have weak heads and weak head gaskets...and driving it while overheating til it shit off would pretty much tell me you are going to need a new head, head gasket, or both. Try what Billr recommended, but I think you are beating a dead horse here. Sorry to sound so down on it but thats been the way those rodeos have seemed to go...