97 Mystique cd4e issues

tlm47201

Just bought it. No 2nd or od. Not setting codes, yet tranny light flashes. Unplug round connector to tranny solenoids and it will go forward and backward. do not believe od/int band is broken. Cleared all engine codes, drive it, it winds up to about 30 mph, back off the gas, goes into 3rd. Can feel either od or the converter lock up. Wonder if the wiring to the tranny could allow one solenoid to not get power? Cannot figure why I cant pull tranny codes with my scanner.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Tim, Even though you don't want the band to be broken, it's the only thing in common with both. If it were a solenoid problem then you would have different symptoms. It's fairly easy to see if the band is broken or a servo problem by removing the servo and inserting a small screwdriver into the bore. You may have a broken servo, cut seals or a problem inside the valve body also.
To get codes with this one, you will need a "Trans capable" scanner not just a scanner. These units are well known for MLPS (Neutral switch) issues but not very likely with these symptoms.
IF you need to go into the valve body or deal with it then install a "Shift Kit Jr" while you are there, this will help the trans live longer and remove the possibility of this trans going into Destructive high pressures. You didn't post what engine size. Post back, Transman

tlm47201

Its the 2.5L V6. Is there an inexpensive code scanner that can do these tranny codes that you would reccomend? I worked the dealerships as a tranny tech until 91, when all this electronic controls came into view. I never kept up on it. I still do a lot of A4LD trannies, and have got them down to a science. I will check out the band servo, and see if the band is broke.

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
This is what separates the MAN scanners from the BOY scanners. No, there is no inexpensive scanner that will read trans data or codes except for the GM vehicles as they put their trans codes into the PCM. If you are comfortable with the A4LD trans then you should have no great difficulty with the CD4E, this trans can "almost" be completely be rebuilt inside the vehicle. You can certainly put a band in. Don't forget the "Shift Kit Jr" as this will fix the high pressure runaway that breaks the band & drums. Post back, Transman

tlm47201

To put a band in the cd4e, in the car, you would have to split the case halves wouldnt you? My scanners were the Hickok star tester from ford, and a Snapon microscan. Good for what they do, but way out of date.

tlm47201

Transman, today I checked the tss, and solenoid resistances. I intentionally tried to set a code, and the snapon tester found the code, so the ecm does set codes and I can get them. I may go ahead and replace the range sensor, it acted flakey when testing it. Possibly, the ss1 is stuck on. Next thing I will do is pull the band servo and check the int/od band to be 100% sure.

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Yes, the case halves will have to split to replace the band, I was seeing (in my mind) on the wrong end of the train. Most of the mechanical problems with these units are the "Drums" & the pump so I am used to removing the pump assy and doing some work inside the car. The Valve body can also be removed while in the car. The "Range Sensor" is a pricey and flawed units (very common failure item). The "solenoid pack" has come way down in price since day one, order that from Part-rite (800-225-0020 Bill) if needed as well as overhaul stuff, their service is excellent and reasonably priced. Post back, Transman
tlm47201 said:
To put a band in the cd4e, in the car, you would have to split the case halves wouldnt you? My scanners were the Hickok star tester from ford, and a Snapon microscan. Good for what they do, but way out of date.