98 Honda Civic OBD code P0135

Hello guys,

'98 Honda Civic, 72K miles, 1.6L auto; about a year ago we had a cracked exhaust manifold replaced and the mechanic also replaced the O2 sensor which was mounted in it. Everything has been OK until "Check Engine" light came on last week. My OBD analyzer reads out P0135 code which points to that same O2 sensor (I _think_ but not positive). I suspect that the repair shop may have put in a cheapo O2 sensor but I'm not sure. BTW, I checked the wires and they are not cut or shorted out to anything, and the engine still runs OK.

Am I on the right track or is there another O2 sensor somewhere that may be the problem? Also, is there a way to reset the error codes without disconnecting the battery cable?

Thanks

jjm

P0135 is the heater circuit of the O2 sensor, which is mounted in the exhaust manifold. This code does not relate to the cat O2 sensor.

The sensor (36531-P2E-A01) is not cheap from Honda at close to $200, so I could somewhat understand an aftermarket one. But before you condemn this expensive sensor, test it first. Disconnect the sensor and measure the resistance between terminal 3 and 4 (bottom two, from the clip facing the top) should be between 2 and 40 ohms. If it's open (no continuity) replace the sensor. Then check if there's a short to ground on either terminal 3 or 4. If there is, replace the sensor.

CLIP
#1 #2
#3 #4

If the sensor checks out, check the wiring. See if there's battery voltage (ignition on) harness side of terminal #3. If not, check the #15 fuse (7.5A) or the wiring. If there is voltage, we've got even more digging to do, but most of the time the sensor tests confirm the sensor is bad.

If you need more help, there's also <a href="http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/alldata/t.asp?id=1035">AllDataDIY</a> always available 24/7.

Joe

If you found this information helpful, please support BATAuto!

Jim,

Thanks very much for the information. Pins 3-4 of the sensor showed open-circuit, and the no. 15 fuse was OK, so I guess I'll replace the sensor. Is there a special tool needed to remove/install the sensor? It looks like a tubing wrench might do the job.
Also, do you have experience with any particular brand of sensor?

Thanks again,
John F.

jjm

The best sensor will eventually be the cheapest, so get an OEM Honda sensor from a Honda dealer or Honda parts jobber; don't go with another aftermarket and replace it again and again. As Crunch here always says, "OEM parts hurt only once".

There are special tools to remove O2 sensors, but if your careful, a tubing wrench of the correct size will work just fine... just make sure you don't slip when tightening it up and damage that expensive sensor.

Joe

If you found this information helpful, please support BATAuto!