98 Sunfire 2.2L 'Check Engine' Light

The check engine light came on yesterday; and I noticed that car runs different now. It feels like it runs harder. I had the codes read, and code 1404 was showing up (EGR valve I think).
Has anyone had this problem?
History of car is definitely a mess... car hit pole on front left side, and was fixed. Had lproblems with bare wire hitting frame of back seat causing car to stall amongst many other things. EGR valve was replaced then (before they new what problem was) - but I believe it was switched back to original when the problem wasn't fixed.
I had the check engine and the ABS light on for about 3 - 4 years now. Check engine light just went off one day about a year ago, ABS light has been on and still is.
The ABS doesn't bother me - but I am concerned about the check engine and the harder run I have now.
Any ideas or information would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help!
Beth

I thought I would try this site as it is free, and full of knowledgeable people. I don't want to take my car in 13 times again where they change everything but what the real problem is. I know when the lights come on, a lot of unrelevant codes show up sometimes. I don't have the money, time or patience this time around.

As for the latter part... that person is anything but!

C

Charlie

Code P1404- EGR monitor test failed. The PCM expect to see engine speed drop as each of the three EGR
solenoids are cycled on during rapid deceleration. Enabling conditions: Engine coolant temperature is
over 184°F. Oxygen sensor voltage is over 0.57 volts (indicating the system is not in decel fuel shut off).
Vehicle is in 1st or 2nd gear. Vehicle speed is over 20 MPH. A/C clutch is not engaged (turn off A/C and
defrost). Throttle position and engine load indicate the vehicle is in decel mode. The PCM will cycle each
EGR solenoid and watch for engine speed to drop. Code P1403 is for EGR solenoid #2. The expected RPM
drop is 925 to 1063 RPM. Blocking action: None. Testing: Apply a ground to the light blue wire (EGR
solenoid #2) to turn on EGR #2 solenoid. Engine speed must drop. If engine speed does not drop, check for
battery voltage on pink wire (EGR solenoid power) at the EGR. If the voltage is low, check the in line 10
amp fuse for the EGR solenoid. If power and control signal are normal and the engine speed does not drop,
remove EGR and check for plugged EGR passages or bad EGR.

Thank-you Charlie for providing me with this information.
I did go over railroad tracks at one point, and the light went out. Car felt like it was running pretty well. The light has since come back on.
So, there are two things that I am going to try... 1) go back over the tracks to see if the light goes out :D, and 2) get assistance from a friend who actually understands what you wrote below and has a multi-meter (?) to help me out.

Thanks again for the pointers... I will let you know if either of my attempts work!