Toyota
Model
Camry
Year
Miles
225K (?)
Engine
2.2L
My son drives this car and it has 225K miles (?). Today, he parked in the driveway, put it in park then decided to adjust his position. He put it in reverse, pushed the gas pedal and had no response from the still running engine. He put it back in park, then to drive and same thing, no throttle response and the steering wheel was locked. He put it back in park, set the brake then turned it off and back on. He could then move the car as normal. This happened once before at an intersection where he stopped for a red light and when he got the green, he pressed the gas and got no response, engine was still running. I wasn't around to come look at it so we had it towed to a shop and they couldn't find anything wrong. It was working ok for them.

We bought this car used in 2019, so no info about its history. I'm thinking its the ignition module because of the steering lock up??? And the throttle looks all cable so the no throttle response is throwing me off. Any ideas?

Mobile Dan

wrench
Is it possible that the engine stalled but the radio kept playing? How loud is the exhaust? How loud is the radio? Sometimes my customers "know" the engine is running because they never shut it off.
Sometimes crazy unexplainable things things happen when humans get interupted during an "automatic sequence" like Shift to Park, Turn off engine, Remove seatbelt, Remove Key, Open door.

NickD

wrench
Ignition module just contains a gated bipolar transistor with a zener diode across it if bad, car won't even start. Shifting to different gears sounds more like dirty neutral safety switch contact problems in a very erratic fashion. About the only things the gear shift lever does mechanically is put a pawl in a toothed gear in park, rest is all electrical contacts to the AT.

Had to clean the neutral safety switch on my Supra, hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new one. Neutral safety switch in not the correct word they use anymore, all kinds of strange names, but communicates the PCM with the AT solenoid valves. It changes position with the gear shift lever.

billr

wrench
Staff member
When I first read this thread I suspected it was a DBW throttle; hence the "no throttle response" that was probably tied into a safety or anti-theft interlock.

However, I see pictures of a conventional TPS and IAC valve; hinting that it is not DBW. My first request is to check and confirm that the throttle control is a conventional mechanical cable, and to check what the throttle is actually doing (movement-wise) when you have those "no throttle response" episodes.

ScottVA2775

When I first read this thread I suspected it was a DBW throttle; hence the "no throttle response" that was probably tied into a safety or anti-theft interlock.

However, I see pictures of a conventional TPS and IAC valve; hinting that it is not DBW. My first request is to check and confirm that the throttle control is a conventional mechanical cable, and to check what the throttle is actually doing (movement-wise) when you have those "no throttle response" episodes.
I will check into this. My son is not mechanically inclined and I'm an OTR trucker. So, it'll be a little while before I can look at it. I'll post when I do.

billr

wrench
Staff member
The symptoms, as I understand them, are that the engine will be idling smooth-and-normal but there is no change when the accel pedal is depressed; the engine keeps idling fine. And, at the same time, the steering wheel locks in position. That's kind of a weird combo, please verify I am reading that correct. I can't think of any scenario where an ignition module failure would lock the steering wheel.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
BTW, I am not familiar with term OTR trucker. I am french.

Does it mean on the run trucker, or on the road trucker. :oops: or maybe even worse overworked then ruined trucker.

ScottVA2775

The symptoms, as I understand them, are that the engine will be idling smooth-and-normal but there is no change when the accel pedal is depressed; the engine keeps idling fine. And, at the same time, the steering wheel locks in position. That's kind of a weird combo, please verify I am reading that correct. I can't think of any scenario where an ignition module failure would lock the steering wheel.
You are reading that correctly. I assumed IM because that's what I thought allowed the ateering lock mechanism to engage when the key is in the off position and unlock it when the key is turned to the on position. Am I wrong in that assumption? If so, what tells the steering lock to engage and disengage?

ScottVA2775

BTW, I am not familiar with term OTR trucker. I am french.

Does it mean on the run trucker, or on the road trucker. :oops: or maybe even worse overworked then ruined trucker.
Over worked, definitely...lol. OTR= Over The Road. Long-haul trucker.

ScottVA2775

Is it possible that the engine stalled but the radio kept playing? How loud is the exhaust? How loud is the radio? Sometimes my customers "know" the engine is running because they never shut it off.
Sometimes crazy unexplainable things things happen when humans get interupted during an "automatic sequence" like Shift to Park, Turn off engine, Remove seatbelt, Remove Key, Open door.
Stock exhaust, stock radio. The first time this happened, he was stopped at a red light and didn't touch the key or gearshift lever. When the light turned green, he pushed the gas pedal but had no response from the engine.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I don't know about this specific type vehicle, but I would expect the ignition key to steering lock connection would be a simple mechanical link right up there behind the steering wheel; the IM not involved at all.

Again, clarify what "no response" means: no change in engine sound/rpm, or no movement of car?

ScottVA2775

I don't know about this specific type vehicle, but I would expect the ignition key to steering lock connection would be a simple mechanical link right up there behind the steering wheel; the IM not involved at all.

Again, clarify what "no response" means: no change in engine sound/rpm, or no movement of car?
Both- no RPM change in engine and no movement of the car.

I didn't think about the KISS principle. I should've thought about a simple physical link between key and steering lock. Thank you.