99 Cavalier Flooding

gjccauto

I have a 99 Cavalier with a 2.2 engine and automatic transmission I just installed a used engine and went to fire it up and the cylinders filled with fuel so bad that the engine would no turn over. I checked the fuel pressure regulator and it tests OK. Is anyone aware of any known concerns like this or any ideas of where I should start.
Help.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
This one is pretty direct, fuel can only come from too much pressure or bad injectors, or possibly the computer. How far away is the engine that you put in? Was it a '99 with the same trans type? Have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge? Is it possible that dirt got into the fuel lines, maybe some dirt is sticking the injectors open. Did you do any cutting or splicing to the wiring harness? Do you have ALL your ground wires hooked where they belong and connected well? Post back, Transman

Gus

wrench
Did you transfer the fuel rail to the new engine?

If the fuel rail is the same one that came with the "new" engine, first thing to do, is disable the fuel pump, get that fuel out of the cylinders, and immediately dump your oil and filter....get a new filter and oil in the vehicle....

Now, you have to disconnect the harnesses to the fuel injectors and attach a fuel pressure gage....you can't pull the fuse because the same fuse powers the injectors and the pump, and we want the pump to run....

With the injectors disconnected, turn key on and watch gage....does it build up pressure? You may have to cycle key several times to get max pressure, pausing 15 seconds with the key off, each cycle....

If pressure builds up and holds, try cranking the vehicle....it may briefly start do to residual fuel in the cylinders.....if it doesn't start, spray some carb cleaner into the intake and see if it runs......if it runs until the carb cleaner is used up, and fuel pressure holds, then the injectors, o-rings and regulator are ok......

Next thing to do would be to attach a noid light , one at a time to each injector harness(all injectors still disconnected)....crank the engine and see if it flashes....should flash on all 4....if light remains on solid on any harness, the control side of the harness to the PCM is grounded or you have a bad PCM...

If you turn the key on and pressure builds up and immmediately drops, and there is no fuel in the vac line to the regulator, then we have to assume an injector(s) is leaking or you have a bad regulator.....if the return line is a RUBBER hose, clamp it with vise grips and a rag as the pressure drops(if plastic lines, DO NOT TRY TO CLAMP THEM)....if it stops dropping, the regulator is bad....if it continues to drop, then either the check valve in the pump is bad or your injectors are leaking...if the supply line is a RUBBER HOSE, clamp the supply and return lines at the same time as fuel pressure drops.....if it stops dropping, the pump is bad...if it continues to drop then it's the fuel injectors.....

Since fuel is in the cylinders, it's a good bet it's the injectors....and if you didn't transfer the fuel rail, then use the one on the old engine...

gjccauto

Engine was from a 2000 automatic and unfortunately I don't have a pressure gauge. The wiring harness has not been cut and I double checked my connections and can't find any missing grounds. The injectors that came with the engine wouldn't plug into the cars wiring harness so I transferred over the original injectors and fuel rail at the same time I replaced the injector o-rings. I'll try some of the other things you've reccomended and get back to you.

Thanks

OzzyRules

Make sure the injectors are fully seated in the bore and check the o-rings for cuts. Either one will allow fuel to dump into the cylinders.Remove plugs and crank over to see which cylinders are affected.DO NOT try and crank the engine while it is hydrolocked, you can pop a connecting rod through the block.

gjccauto

I took a second look at the intake where the injectors seat and found that teh new and old manifold had different part numbers. Since the injectors also looked different I put the original intake back on and tried to fire it up but still no luck. I don't have a noid light buit nall the injectors now seem to have a normal spray pattern.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
The odds are the computer is as different as the injectors. What have you done about the other sensors, original or replacement engine? What killed the original engine? Transman

N

NickD

More typical problems are fuel starvation, and maybe one leaking injector, but never all four. How fast are the cylinders filling up? Having both an 02 and an 04 Cavalier in the family, the changes made in these two years are drastic, wonder if the same is true between the 99 and the 00?

Two choices with firing injectors, they could have a common ground with PNP transistors driving each on the high side, or a common 12V bus with a series resistors ground each individually with an NPN transistor. Electrical manuals for both vehicles would show this along with a bunch of other changes. If Chevy did make this change in one model year, the injectors would be on at all times, should be easy to check with a voltmeter, but what do you do to correct it? Only logical choice would be to keep everything a 99.

Life was simple in the 50's for an engine conversion, run a wire from the starter switch to the starter, another from the ignition switch to the ignition, and another four or five to the sensors, ha, most oil pressure gauges were real gauges and just required a tube with a different fitting at the end. Today, changing engine types even from one model year can be a nightmare, but don't have to tell you that.

gjccauto

fixed
To be safe I installed 4 rebuilt injectors and the problem is fixed. Thanks to everyone for their help :thx