99 chevy silverado 4.8L v8 My Throttle body is idling really high the gauge goes all the way up to 6 or 7

JMARAUJO26

Make
chevy
Model
silverado 1500
Year
Miles
Engine
4.8l v8
Every thing was working fine but I decide it to put a performance throttle body with a spacer in between and thats when idling went high on the truck it stays on and everything but i have to shut it off cause am afraid to mess the engine up. I already change the IAC which is the idle air control valve and the and the TPS which is the throttle position sensor and i took the battery cables off to reset everything and i took my scanner and reset the check engine light also and the only codes that comes on is a misfire other than that everything is working fine. gray stuff around it is just silicone cause i thought it was getting air around it.

Attachments

billr

wrench
Staff member
You have two almost-identical threads going on this issue, let's use this one, since the spelling/grammar are better AND IT ISN'T IN ALL-CAPS...

What gauge is it that is going "high" or to "6 or 7"??? Do you have live-data available? Any codes set? Are there any intake mods besides the TB (I'm wondering about the blue things)?

First, I would put it back to all-stock and verify it is fine like that. Then we can know we are properly focused on the mods.

Second, I would leave it stock! There can be virtually no benefit to changing the TB unless you make several other changes and verify the whole new config with many happy hours on a steady-state dyno. In fact, you might even be losing hp/torque by just slapping on the "super-duper" TB.

However, if you still want to pursue the TB or other mods, we will try to help, just give us the info requested at the beginning of this post.

grcauto

You have two almost-identical threads going on this issue, let's use this one, since the spelling/grammar are better AND IT ISN'T IN ALL-CAPS...

What gauge is it that is going "high" or to "6 or 7"??? Do you have live-data available? Any codes set? Are there any intake mods besides the TB (I'm wondering about the blue things)?

First, I would put it back to all-stock and verify it is fine like that. Then we can know we are properly focused on the mods.

Second, I would leave it stock! There can be virtually no benefit to changing the TB unless you make several other changes and verify the whole new config with many happy hours on a steady-state dyno. In fact, you might even be losing hp/torque by just slapping on the "super-duper" TB.

However, if you still want to pursue the TB or other mods, we will try to help, just give us the info requested at the beginning of this post.
You seem to have info that is not in the OP.

billr

wrench
Staff member
What info? Did you see the near-identical other thread on the same vehicle/problem?

JMARAUJO26

I got everything working thank you for your help NOT.
and for your info there's a lot of changes in that truck and a lot of changes coming also. '
to answer some of your questions no theres no codes and if you dont know what's the blue things than I think you got a problem if your a mecanic
sorry for been like that i just hate people acting like there all that and at the end there the ones that just talk and talk even for the way we type, spell or talk. thank you bye

grcauto

and for your info there's a lot of changes in that truck and a lot of changes coming also. '
to answer some of your questions no theres no codes and if you dont know what's the blue things than I think you got a problem if your a mecanic
sorry for been like that i just hate people acting like there all that and at the end there the ones that just talk and talk even for the way we type, spell or talk. thank you bye
You are welcome. You got nothing from us and we got nothing from you.

Reactions: JP

NickD

wrench
US is a weird country, okay to manufacturer and advertise automotive modification equipment, but illegal to install them. Owners are not fined nearly as much as shops are for installing this stuff.

Your Chevy is OBD II and manufactured to strict EPA requirements. Installing a larger TB will only make your engine run poorer and if caught, not very likely if you don't live in an emission test zone, will be in for a stiff fine.

Sure a lot of BS with air filters as opposed to OEM, with a brain deficiency guys thing cold air gives more HP. but in reality it causes the injected fuel to form droplets that lead to misfire.

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
I've been a member of this board for several years. I will be the first one to tell you these guys on here know what they are doing. You give them complete and accurate information, and they can give you credible diagnosis FREE, from hundreds of miles away. They have helped me to save THOUSANDS of dollars for my family members in auto repair needs. I'm a pretty decent tech, but sometimes I need wisdom from others, and an encouraging word. These guys can help you, but just like any shop, the new guy has to prove himself, and not pee on his mentor's toolbox.

Reactions: JP

JP

Much agreed, Mikerizer. Mechanics have bent over backwards on this forum to help me and others with, as you said, FREE reliable advice. Car issues can be frustrating and it's OK to get angry, but not at people who have volunteered their time and expertise to help other people who they'll likely never meet.

BAT mechs are the best!

JP

Maybe it goes to 11?

Attachments