99 ford explorer 4.0 185000

coupons

wife drove truck to the store went in shoped. got in truck backed out of parking space heard something pop didnot think anything about it went to pharmacy pulled in parking spot came back out would not reverse is this the transmission or a sensor on the trans have all foward gears fluid is red. Ty u all for your time.

Not much info to go on, but I would guess that it is not a sensor and that some mechanical ( physical) part did break inside transmission. Take it to a reputable transmission shop for evaluation.

You can also wait and some of those with real transmission expertise may come in here and give you more and better info.

coupons

ty. dont know what else to say other than what happen all at once it happened no unussall was fine

billr

wrench
Staff member
It would probably be worthwhile to have it scanned for trans trouble-codes, even if you have to pay a bit for the scan. The CEL isn't on all the time now, is it?

You have not told us what transmission you have, but this may be helpful:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61579

coupons

well iguess it not a common problem with this vehicle or some one would know ty for your inputs.its a automatic with over drive 2 1 attached to a 4. 0 4 wheel drive if has a name i guess i am clueless

billr

wrench
Staff member
No, it is a common problem, as indicated in the link posted by JackC. I did a web search and found similar references to the 1/R band failing. If you are a DIYer, then time to pull the pan for inspection; if not, time to take it to a trans shop. No "magic fixes" here, it seems. There are some trans experts here, wait a few more days and one will chime in, but I don't think the verdict will change.

coupons

ty not looking for a miracle fix just trying to get input sry if i came off a liitle strong if its a band or a pump i understand thats is not quick fix i know i can pullit out and change the trans but people talk about sensors on these trans i just trying to get input ty for all your help im not much for whats inside of it

billr

wrench
Staff member
Keep checking in here for a while, a trans expert will join in eventually.

bp042665

hunting nut
ok sorry but it is a 5R55E transmission and yes it is a common problem the reverse Band Broke the ear off i see it alot goes forward fine but no reverse you will have to take out tranny and tear it down all the way to the bottom to fix it

If you fasten a big rubber band between the tire and rear bumper before you drive into a parking spot, the vehicle will back up when you shift out of Park. Just Kidding.

coupons

ty danica for your advice but i do use the fred flinstone effect ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha