A Wise Man Named Gus...

RickyBubbles

...once said "Use OEM Parts" - - - 2002 GMC Safari Van 4.3 litre 78000 miles - Changed distributor cap and rotor because I thought that was the cause of my "no start after rain or snow" problems. Turned out the problem was the ignition coil, which was arcing through its case when it got a little damp. Replaced the coil and things seemed okay but started getting P0301 codes and steady CEL. The cure for this was to put the old cap and rotor back on. How common is it for brand new aftermarket parts to "not work" (this was a well known brand)...and should the auto parts store have to take the parts back even though they state "no returns on electrical components"? How can I prove to them that the new parts would not work properly? Thanks!! RB

crunch

wrench
You are confusing the no return with warranty on part. :)

No return is for people that buy a part and try it to see if it fixes a problem then take it back and want there money back. ::)

Any good major brand part is warranted. take it back and they should make it good with another one.
If not slam the part on the counter and have a Tessie about it.
But sometimes you get into a bad batch so the replacement may be bad to.

What you have run into is what Gus is trying to tell you.

You have just been bit in the rear with that after market stuff. :)

Read my signature.
Crunch

brcidd

I put one of those RED autozone caps on my Astro van once-- wife had to be towed home a week later- dug the old a/c delco cap out of the trash- it started right up-- I will never again use afternmarket ignition parts............there was NO visible difference in the two- only the color.....

RickyBubbles

yes brcidd...looked exactly the same. Strange. Never too old to learn a lesson. My cap was a C_a_p_o_ brand...which I thought should be pretty good stuff.

Whitecougar

Sometimes after market parts are an improvement on an oem design. For instance,my tensioner pulley on my 99 Taurus failed due to the round spring used in the oem design getting weak. The Dayco replacement was designed with a flat spring which is more reliable and less prone to failure. Although I tend to lean towards oem parts there are proven instances where after market parts are superior. Another example is ball joints and tie rod ends for my 98 F150, the Moog replacement ball joints and tie rod ends are far superior in design than the ford parts. I think a person just needs to be cautious and well informed when buying after market parts. Thats just my experience and I'm sure that the many people that are far more qualified on this site will be sure to let me know if I am misguided... don't be too hard on me... :p

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
I agree in those cases, Moog spends lots of money in research as does Dayco & Gates. I am speaking mainly of sensors ands switches even though I didn't specifically mention it. Good catch, Transman

jay

Some aftermarket sensors, etc are actually repackaged OEM parts that are sold under a store name/box. I have found DC Mopar star logo on some MAP sensors sold thru a major auto store. In cases like this, I will use the parts store branded box. Have never had problems in this case.

crunch

wrench
jay said:
Some aftermarket sensors, etc are actually repackaged OEM parts that are sold under a store name/box. I have found DC Mopar star logo on some MAP sensors sold thru a major auto store. In cases like this, I will use the parts store branded box. Have never had problems in this case.
At least you parts place knows where to get good parts. :)

But who had the best price your dealer or parts place?

I have found dealer OEM parts are cheaper a lot of times then the after market stuff.

After market parts places do a lot of brand buying.
And have them made up to there own specs which may not match OEM quality and specs.