A604 41TE

klally

I could sure use some help. I am ready to order a rebuild kit and I am confused when it comes to bonded pistons. My trans is 2001 from Caravan.
Mopar kit includes bonded pistons and covers years to 2007. Other kits from reputable companies cover 90-03 but do not include bonded pistons.
When I examine pistons from my trans it does not appear as if seals are replaceable on underdrive piston and retainer.

Cheef

King of A-604 and Prince of 62-TE
Website
www.ultra604.com
Bonded pistons are updated where the lip seal is part of the piston itself. Since the trannies at the factory are assembled 100% by machines, not having to have a machine install the seals on the piston is one less step. Bonded pistons make the difference in production.

In essence, you chuck the piston (with replaceable seals) from your transmission and use the bonded one in the kit. I personally have never had an issue with replaceable seal pistons as long as they are the "D" ring style seals (for Low/Reverse and 2nd/4th gear pistons) and not the older "lip" seals that do, in fact, have sealing and longevity issues. Lip seals were discontinued from 41TE/A604 production in Model year 1994.

I managed to get 10 older (2006) factory (MoPar) rebuild kits off of a bid service from a defunct dealer...10 kits for $120 post paid. They work great and I have no problem using them in rebuilds.

HTH

Cheef