? About infra red heaters

eddieguy

I was thinking about putting one of those infra red heaters in the shed. The interior space measures about 9ft 4in × 15ft 4in with a little over 7ft ceiling. I got an exhaust fan in the ceiling to vent air out through the Attic but I can remove that fill it in I've never used it anyway. I can feel that little space in to help keep the heat in.

so I was wondering if anybody on here has owned such a space heater and how well they worked I'm talking about the one that you see that are typically in a square shaped cabinet.

I'm sure there different qualities in efficiencies on these just like anything else I was looking to get some feedback from people that have used them and how well they have worked for them and if there was a particularly good one someone had good success with

eddieguy

I was thinking about putting one of those infra red heaters in the shed. The interior space measures about 9ft 4in × 15ft 4in with a little over 7ft ceiling. I got an exhaust fan in the ceiling to vent air out through the Attic but I can remove that fill it in I've never used it anyway. I can feel that little space in to help keep the heat in.

so I was wondering if anybody on here has owned such a space heater and how well they worked I'm talking about the one that you see that are typically in a square shaped cabinet.

I'm sure there different qualities in efficiencies on these just like anything else I was looking to get some feedback from people that have used them and how well they have worked for them and if there was a particularly good one someone had good success with
Oh I meant to add that I reside in Kansas City Missouri so I may not get the harsher temperatures like up North but I don't have the warmer temperatures in the South either temperature can change quite a bit around here

dabunk

wrench
Website
www.facebook.com
One bus company I worked for had them. 2 bay long shop. Great if you were in front of them froze if the bus was in the way. My home 2 car garage for 2 years used one of the small ones that mounted right on a small propane tank. It was nice to position right at where you were working.

NickD

wrench
Wasn't until the year 2000 finally insulated and heated my garage with an insulated garage door. Before, if it was -30*F outside, that was the inside temperature of my garage. Guess when you get old, can't take the cold anymore. Garage is attached to the house, rarely get below freezing. Just use a couple of 1500 watt electric heaters, warms it up to 50*F very quickly, nice temperature to work in. Have about 18" of insulation in the ceiling.

One of my son's friend installed an over head electric heater, his electrical bill skyrocketed to over 159 bucks per month. Another friend had a natural gas installed with external venting. Son asked me about natural gas, usually pretty good, but running a 75 foot gas line through a finished house is too much for me, getting old and stupid.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
A friend of mine lent me one of these units, it was useless much as dabunk said, unless your working right in front of it, but the advantage was that I could use 120v. The shed slash garage I was renting back then did not have 240v. But, if I had 4 of those, would have worked fine. One was not enough.

So I ended up using his infrared heater installed right next to my work bench and computor, and used basic ceiling hanging fan heaters at all 4 corners. And yes, my electric bill was horendous. But this was a barn. You have to see pics of that old thing I rented for 4 yrs maybe. Wow, did my hands hurt after a day in that barn at -30c

Here is a link. the tough ones, not the cheap mayfair crap on internet.

4 of these should do the trick if you are into infrared. But it comes with a 4grand price tag. ;):eek::money::oops:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So depending on how much propane cost down in your area, it is a math equation at this point. Hydo is cheap up here, but still costs a fortune to heat a barn that is 80yrs or so old. But if it is easily available. Propane I mean, two on opposites may do the trick in Kansas. Up here, need way more propane to keep warm, so electric all day.

But I must say, the blast of heat from that unit my buddy long term borrowed to me was awesome especially when I went close to my work bench and pc laptop station. When it was real cold, I would invent excuses in my head to not work and laze around the window here my work bench was. The heat was nice and direct. But again, if your garage aint sealed right, this type of heat is radiant per say. I think my french may be getting the better here. For lack of a better word than radiant, The minute you run out of propane, your screwed. :oops:

But if your application needs a unit like this, yeah, you get hot, but once your out of range, its cold.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I always repeat myself, that was just an opinion. And opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. ;)

It al comes down to what are the uses of said tech, and is it good for you. Most ppl who ask questions, 50% of the time, they already know the answer to. :bat:;)