ABS Brakes

L

luke

I have a 2000 Pontiac Montana in which the ABS light comes on very frequently lately. Before it comes on i feel like a vibration in the gas pedal as I'm driving ??? Then when i apply the brake pedal i feel heavy vibration in the pedal(as if on wet pavement and skidding). Then the light will come on and my brakes will work fine after that. My question is can i temporarily disable the ABS system so that i can run with normal brakes? Because when the ABS light is on the brakes work great no vibrations!
Thanks in advance!!

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
I recommend you find the problem rather then go around it but as long as the abs light is on then you are running with regular brakes. They frown (against the forum rules) to explain how to disable systems on your vehicles and you will be safer driving with the abs system working properly. Transman

luke said:
I have a 2000 Pontiac Montana in which the ABS light comes on very frequently lately. Before it comes on i feel like a vibration in the gas pedal as I'm driving ??? Then when i apply the brake pedal i feel heavy vibration in the pedal(as if on wet pavement and skidding). Then the light will come on and my brakes will work fine after that. My question is can i temporarily disable the ABS system so that i can run with normal brakes? Because when the ABS light is on the brakes work great no vibrations!
Thanks in advance!!
Checking the ABS problem will require an ABS capable scantool,usually not the 200-300$ ones either. Knowing what codes set will greatly narrow the search. That being said, usual suspects on these are wheel bearings(which include the abs sensors) and bad frt wiring harnesses for the snsors. Resistance tests for the sensors shoul be around 1.1-1.2 kilo-ohms. The sensors themselves have to be tested for short to ground or short to power. Water intrusion often destroys them. The harnesses break from flexing near where the control arm attaches to the subframe.