ABS,ESP,BAS malfunction indicators on. Code U1417 from ignition diagnosis.

Nanaimo

Make
Dodge
Model
Charger
Year
Miles
130 000
Engine
From code list U1417 indicates a left side speed sensor issue. In a very good explanation the writer described this as a problem with the front sensor. I installed a new sensor on the left front and nothing changed. I would like to know how the mechanic concluded that this code is the front. This is a 2010 Dodge Charger.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yes, the code only indicates there is some kind of problem with the system. It could be F or R, a sensor, wiring, ABS, CAN, PCM itself, or even the programming for all those controllers. You need to do (or have done) comprehensive trouble-shooting. Otherwise, you will keep "throwing parts at it" and may never solve the problem. You will need to use a scanner that is capable of showing live-data for that system.

PS: I see some indication that the code means "FR". It could be that the system uses a common sensor for the rear wheels, so a fault that is only on the R is likely on the F; otherwise the L would also fault.

Last edited:

Nanaimo

So I took the car to the Chrysler dealer and they scanned it in the parking lot, the scan piece communicates with the computer in the office. For no charge he was able to tell me that the U1417 code indicates a problem in the left rear wheel. I went home and removed the new sensor that I had installed in the front, and replaced it with the original(in Canada these sensors are $60each). I could not return the now used sensor and so I cut the end off, cut the end of the sensor on the rear wheel, and soldered the ends together. After wrapping the joint with rubber emergency tape and then a layer of electrical tape, I secured it out of harms way with a cable tie. The lights on the dash went out within a couple hundred meters, cruise control is working again. Thanks for the input people, I just joined the forum this morning and already saved the price of admission.

NickD

wrench
Late in reading this post, but 99 times out of a hundred and ABS sensor connector is the problem not even water proof, kid had the same problem with his Chrysler. I just cut the connector off and solder the wires covered with shrinkable tubing.

Salt saves lives, also rust the hell out of your vehicle and causes all kinds of electrical problems.

One code I would love to see, "time to get rid of this piece of crap."

Nanaimo

NickD
As I outlined above I have made the repair but I have a question for the future. What do you mean by 'just cut the connector off and solder the wires covered with shrinkable tubing'? Did you leave the connector off? cut out some bad wire? The connector on my car was fine, it's still being used; it's the sensor that went bad.