AC issues 2008 Civic

NickD

wrench
Lot as changed over the years, first systems used a York compressor, even my 82 motorhome had that, sight glass on the bottom so could see the oil level like a refrigerator or home AC compressor. No oil was circulated with the refrigerant, and oil does not cool. but that change to adding oil to the cycling system. With all those connections could get a oil leak and seize your compressor.

For work, should flush the entire system out, draw a deep vacuum and inject the oil in. PAG oil is used in R-134a systems, any moisture in the system converts that to an acid that will eat your system from the inside out.

R-12 used Shcarder Valves, for 50 cents could make a service valve like new again. For whatever reason, EPA wanted a different valve for R-134a, I am not an idiot so can't think like they do, just so you wouldn't put R-12 in an R-134a system, but still could use your R-12 gauge set with adapters. New valves are identical to air hose couplers, and they always leak, so do R-134a service valve, have that large diaphragm that never seats properly when depressed. R-12 used steel caps with a good neoprene seal in side, R-134a uses cheap plastic, will break on if too tight.

R-12 used a tube and fin condenser, 88 Supra has that, solid copper tube one long piece zig-zag back and forth, if a rock hits it just dents for fins, have a fin comb, but not leaks, POS aluminum will pour out refrigerant, from a stupid EPA that will fine you if caught releasing R-134a, but you don't have to, talk about recovering refrigerant, any AC system I have seen was one dry.

Early systems, compressors ran all the time, valve would bypass the compressor, put 330K miles on my 65 Buick, never had AC problem and driving in South Dakota, 125 outside, cold inside. Then they went to using a cycling switch constantly energizing the clutch, engine running at 2,500 rpm accelerating that compressor from 0 to about 5,000 rpm would wear out the clutch and put severe stress on the compressor seal. Ha, you want problems we have problems.

Japanese still used a cycling system, but the cycling was slowed down due to an expansion valve, US used pressures to cycle, Japs used the evaporator temperature to cycle, not perfect but much better. American vehicles switched on compressor in defrost mode, positively stupid, relative humidity and practically none at these temperatures, only thing it did, oil was stiff, is wear the compressor out, major problems were with an ice cold compressor seal. Japs had an AC switch on the dash, when off the compressor was off.

Later vehicles used a pressure activated variable displacement compressor, one on, would stay on, newest are all electronic. They do have a characteristic, when 70 outside, compressor is running but get very little cooling, but when the outside temps hit a 100, that is when your vent temps are ice cold.

Was never any concrete proof R-12 or even R-22 was depleting in the ozone layer at that, but with the total of so called CFC production, less than 5% if it was used for ALL refrigeration, rest for cleaning and spray cans, even inhalers, the crazy EPA was trying to block, I am not afraid to tell the EPA they are complete idiots, because its the truth.

One replacement for this naughty CFC refrigeration, is a mixture of butane and propane, not a good idea, because if some gas is leaked out not a homogeneous refrigerant and pressures would go crazy. But the big reason the EPA was against it was a fire hazard, but guess what they have approved using 1234yr refrigerant, it has propane in it, what a bunch of hypocrites.

NickD

wrench
Oh, they want to get rid of R-134a because they claim its causing global warming. What really causing global warming is all that hot air they expel.