AC problem 2000 deawoo lanos

Clutch engages, but system pressures (high and Low side) stays about 60 lbs, at idle or when revved up. This compressor is a V5 with serviceable pressure valve (control valve is in compressor- accessible from underneath on rear of compressor).

Compressor is not noisy...what are the chances a new valve would get it pumping again?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/429514157/Auto_compressor_v5_control_valve/showimage.html

I haven't removed the valve, but it probably looks like the one at this link.

In case the words 'Deawoo' or 'Lanos' seem foreign to you, I'd better mention that Saturn compressors also used this device to control piston stroke.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yeah, that's why I'm paying close attention. One of my Saturns won't build up pressure, in a similar manner.

Hey Bill, I just found these quotes at ackits.com forum...both discussions were about Saturns.

Here are two pics of critical components to your compressor, first the refrigerant control valve, if it's clogged or broken, it won't pump. Next is that "plug" in the rear, sorry you can't read the tag, but it's used when the evap freezes on long trips, you can turn it to adjust. But you would either need to search the forum for this problem, as I "think" it's just a quarter turn, and damage to the compressor and the tech could occur if it's turned to much..So hopefully you didn't disturb it taking the rear head off.. It's not uncommon to have a bad control valve though, you tech should be able to detect this..

it is "dangerous" to try to fill an ac system without knowing both the high and low side pressures. You need to borrow, beg or Buy a set of guages to be able to tell what the compressor is doing.
Your car uses a variable displacement compressor. The control valve could be stuck giving you equal pressure on the high and low side which would stop refrigerant from going in...or being pumped thru the system..Guages are the only way to know. You could overfill it and cause a lot of damage to the system, and injury to yourself. Without guages, bring it to a shop to diagnois then post back with their findings. We can help, but not with a one guage or one hose recharge...Hope this helps.

Bill, since I have a large selection of AC o-rings, I may try to remove the valve (after discharging) to see if I can clean or unstick it.

billr

wrench
Staff member
There is an old thread (about a year ago) from when I was trying to resurrect the A/C in both my Saturns. I do have a set of high/low gauges, but the immediate problem is both systems leak. No sense in going any further until I can afford to fix the leaks first. In that old thread I think you were the one that suggested I pinch the hi-side hose to see if it was a compressor problem or the expansion valve/orifice. I'm just watching this thread for future reference... And if I ever get back to the A/C, I'll probably take my own advice and focus on help at ackits.