Air bag indicator light

twicelow

My daughter's vehicle is a '07 Saturn Vue, V6 engine, automatic, w 30K miles, bought new in Jan '07. In the last 30 months,there were several times when the air bag indicator light came on but then came off. The first time the vehicle was taken in to the Saturn dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. Then it happened again and they finally got a code readout and replaced the air bag. It was OK for maybe a year and then again the light would come on and go off sporatically. Then the ON-STAR system said the air bag had a "air bag fault" indicator even though the light didn't come on. As of now the light came on again and then went off. My daughter is taking it in to the dealer Monday (4/6). It's becoming a pain in the butt, even though it's still under warranty. I'm afraid this could become an issue after the warranty expires in Jan '09. Question? Does anybody know if there is an underlying problem with this air bag indicator light issue. Is it a real air bag problem, indicator circuit issues, bad grounds, computer problems, any TSB's out on this? Have not heard of any safety recalls. I would hate for this to become our problem after the warranty. Thanks in advance for any inputs.

we can't give you specific air bag information, but I don't think the moderators will mind if I tell you this..if they do, they will remove this....You might want to take this tsb# to the dealer and have them show you the tsb..tsb#Bulletin No.: 06-09-41-008C... .It does deal with the air bag light coming on caused by the front passenger seat cushion being wet...hope this helps.....Jim

Gus

wrench
If your seat cushion does become wet(spilled something, leak from a sunroof, etc.), this will set a specific code in the PPS(passenger presence system).....

On your repair order, make sure they list the codes they found...

twicelow

Update: looks like the problem was the passenger seat cushion, although there was never anything spilled on it. Conceivably my daughter could have set her purse on the seat, which could have had a few rain drops on it, but that is really a stretch as being a problem. Anyways here is what the tech wrote up: "Tech did not verify any air bag light on at this time. Self check-OK. Found code B0092 in SIR Passenger Presence System. 056 flash code. Checked connector fit under passenger seat-OK. Cleared codes. No codes reset. Doc#2046337, 2165794.Tech SOP new seat cushion-PPS." The ordered a new seat cushion. Shoud be in in a week or 10 days. Thanks again for the TSB info. Hope that is the fix. It's a crappy design if the whole seat cushion has to be replaced to replace a sensor. I could just see the $$$ if it was out if warranty.