Air Pressure at oil filler cap

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
PCV hose was collapsing every 4 to 5 years not months
Yes, indeed, I misread that. Years and months. Not same time scale.

Hey, what do you think about the voyager spacecraft that just went beyond the barrier of solar radiation? What a human feat, wouldn't you say?

Website
www.billjohnson.info
This is a follow up. I put a can of Sea Foam in the fuel tank, and recommended amount of Sea Foam in the oil. After a few months driving if I lay the oil cap on the oil fill hole it sucks the cap down. There is still some puffing sound when the oil cap is removed, I but I do believe it was stated this is normal. I am I just old and feeble to believe what I am seeing?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I will try to answer this in to ways of one. Or there of my limited longish/english skills.

Key words here should be PCV. Meaning, positive crankcase ventilation.

You revived this thread from a year ago, which for me means you are still having a problem with said system. On the ford escape of your era, it IS a PCV system, NOT a neg vac system like the beemers and audis and such which are a plague right now in the industry.

If your getting vac from the dip.
note I believe you mis-read my earlier post of Oct. 8, 2018. I stated in that post that the PCV hose was collapsing every 4 to 5 years not months as you thought, Thanks for your time and expertise as always.

Website
www.billjohnson.info
I am confused. Here is what I find. Oil cap sucked down if placed over filler tube. No action at oil dip stick, no vacuum or pressure. (not test with a vacuum gauge) Is this good, bad, or ugly? Should there not be vacuum with this PCV system? This vehicle is driven about 2,500 miles a year

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Here is what I find. Oil cap sucked down if placed over filler tube. No action at oil dip stick, no vacuum or pressure.
For this system, good. No vac or some at tube it good but no more than 3hg or so, some neg/vac at oil filler is good also, showing PCV is doing its job. Anything positive there, problem. This is where a vac transducer shines for our scopes to diagnose issues such as this when you want to know real engine health. http://www.transducersdirect.com/product-category/pressure-transducers/vacuum-pressure-transducers/.

As engine is running, We WANT the blow by gasses to be sucked into combustion process. This is why the system is designed this way.

On the other hand, today, had a vovlo with a t5 engine, pcv system is a different type than yours, so diagnosis is different. Could hear whistling noise which client thought was a belt noise. Nope, oil catch/pcv/oil filter housing was so plugged up it sucked vac straight out of crankcase, when dipstick out, whistling stopped, but engine would vomit oil every where. Quite dysfunctional engine to say the least. These are my worst favorite types of designs. Cuz when a vac leak develops, say from a ripped diaphragm, it happens after measured NEEDED values and send the ecu out of whack in a new york minute.

On a air inlet tube type of pcv system such as a 2019 ford interceptor, even if the pcv system malfunctions, you don't get as many driveability issues. But sure need to clean your MAF more often though.

And IAC, and throttle, and etc.

Hope that helped.

If not, just write back, tell me where my english went wrong and I will correct accordingly.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Volvo did the same, but went with a diaphragm design. Which I think is most popular with turbo's. Something to do with being more responsive to turbo variations not seen in conventional compression ratio engines.

In the following pdf, you will see a volvo pcv system on 2011 t5 engine. Almost identical. Just notice the PCV itself. One is a ball and spring design, the other diaphragm, not located on valve cover, but on crank case itself.

So I should correct myself for prior statement, the 2005 escape WAS indeed made by mazda. Hence the volvo design. ;)

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Of note, said volvo also had a fuel pressure sensor circuit count of three codes, which did not help the lean code and misfire diagnosis. Picking apart each one came down to simple logic. Eliminate, fix, eliminate more, fix again AND A whole BUNCH OF CLEANING. Turbo also is showing signs of aging, hence MAF code, turbo is also throwing oil past classic brass bushing wobble. Contaminationg the MAF, VIA INTERCOOLER.

Plague with most turbos made for these engines, including the mazda turbos. Same GARRETT style model but made by walmart:D:p.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
pPL BACK IN THE DAY DID NOT KNOW WHY ENGINE OIL WAS SO IMPORTANT, THEY WERE USED TO SIMPLER MORE MAINTENANCE EASY DESIGN. Ooops, for got cap lock

After the early 2000's, companies selling maintenance free cars. Yeah, so long as the brass last long enough and the cheap diaphragm or plastic hose/s doesn't won't dissolve in EPA by products or just plain heat and time. What ever happened to steel turbo return lines anyway?

Turbo engines run hot. normal. Masda also likes hot engines, turbo or not. Look at a mazda/vovlo/ford engine. Plastic.!!!!!

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
On a funny note, haven't seen a quality first sticker much like ford was proud to slap on on thier shyte. Nope, don't even see that on a lawn mower now days.

You know where I do see quality parts done somewhat right, open board pc's/ and related parts. Military grade stuff you can actually touch, feel and swap if, and that is a big if, it blows.

What is there to be proud of anyway, when all is made elsewhere. We just buy it and say yeah. Who needs a raise when this stuff is so cheap.

Long term conundrum to say the least I am happily giving away to my son, he will be a useless as I was when my dad would back the car to the sewer whole and whip off the drain plug and throw his oil down the sewer. Times do change,, now look at the land fills, more electronic junk than cars now. Walk down a street and think back 30yrs ago. More for sale cars on side of road, kids playing hockey in the street, swing or hop scotch etc. Now, tv's littering the sidewalk along last weeks new toaster from walamart, cell phones almost chemically linked now.

Last edited:
Website
www.billjohnson.info
nickb2, Your English is just fine. Tell me, if you can, why is an engine built like the Ford 2.3 liter used in the 2005 Ford Escape (aka Mazda}. In my past life if I needed to change a PCV valve I would find the vent hose and on one end would be the PCV Valve plugged into maybe a valve cover. Five minutes job. $20 maybe. But now you to have to remove the intake to get at the PCV valve. Why why why???. The time. The cost. I can do it myself for maybe $200 or so, but I can see a $1.500+ dealer charge to change the PCV valve, hose, and all the gaskets and seals, Anyway THANK YOU, I appreciate all your input. It makes for interesting and informative reading.