ALL possible causes for no forward gear in 4t65e transmission? Added some clips

grcauto

That has fell apart. The piston is just flopping around. You found your problem.

AZilla83

That has fell apart. The piston is just flopping around. You found your problem.
Awesome! Well that I found the problem. So I'm gonna have to take everything out again? Could you give me a quick rundown on the process & whether it can be done with the tranny case remaining in the car? I don't have the equipment to take it out.

AZilla83

It sounds like you did not disassemble any of the clutches, removing the steel/friction plates entirely. You really need to do that to do meaningful inspection of all those parts. Going that deep into the trans, I would figure on replacing all seals and the friction plates/bands. Inspect the steel plates and replace only as required.
So I found the problem. It's in the 2nd clip. Idk what that parts called & what's all involved in fixing it? Hopefully it can be done without having to remove the tranny from car...

AZilla83

it sounds like a sprag problem or even a stripped spline or a broken shell with out taking it all the way out its hard to tell
Hi, I guess I found the problem. It's in the 2nd clip. Would ya mind taking a look at it & gimme a quick rundown of part(s) name & steps to fix it? Please. I'm hoping it doesn't require the whole tranny to come out bc I don't have a hoist... In the 4th clip it shows how much clearance I have between the firewall if I need to pullout forward servo. I'm trying to head to get the parts but not exactly sure what I need to get? TY!

AZilla83

When ya get a moment, would you gimme a quick rundown of name of part(s) I need to get & steps to fix it please? Trying to head & get parts but not sure of what I need to grab? TY! Greatly appreciated

AZilla83

Can u take look at 5 & 6 clip? It wasn't the piston that was flipping around, it was the forward band. But once I used my finger to push it, it tightened around the drum. But can u tell me if the piston is in bad or good shape pls?

bp042665

hunting nut
the band will move with the piston out but from what i can see in the clips its not piston you nee to take it apart down to the end where you can check that welded gear they break. you can put a new e clip on the servo piston i do on all rebuilds

billr

wrench
Staff member
Don't be so afraid (or lazy) about removing the trans. I have done many such jobs using common jacks, like floor/bottle/scissors, and creative use of blocks. It doesn't really take any "special tools".

That said, I recently needed to do a trans removal at a JY and wanted to minimize my time spent there. So, I bought a $99 trans jack from Harbor Freight. It worked great, and is sturdy and versatile enough that I have found several other (non trans) uses for it. I wish I had bought one years earlier. Same for the HF drywall lift...