ALL possible causes for no forward gear in 4t65e transmission? Added some clips

AZilla83

the band will move with the piston out but from what i can see in the clips its not piston you nee to take it apart down to the end where you can check that welded gear they break. you can put a new e clip on the servo piston i do on all rebuilds
Okay so finally got last bolt out, had to grind it off. Anyway could u take a look at the clip & gimme diagnosis? The 378 drum looks good no visible cracks. The forward drum rollers seem seized up?

AZilla83

the band will move with the piston out but from what i can see in the clips its not piston you nee to take it apart down to the end where you can check that welded gear they break. you can put a new e clip on the servo piston i do on all rebuilds
Also if they are seized, is it possible to take it apart & regrease the rollers or have to get a replacement one?

grcauto

You should download the manual from ATSG.
This has it all and you can find out exactly what things are. I'm not sure if that is a sprag or full roller on that forward drum.

AZilla83

You should download the manual from ATSG.
This has it all and you can find out exactly what things are. I'm not sure if that is a sprag or full roller on that forward drum.
It's the rollers from inside the forward drum. Im quite sure it's the problem. The plastic has warped from the heat, not allowing them to spin freely. The drum itself looks rather burnt, butt doesn't have any cracks so just gonna clean it up & get replacement rollers. Could that alone cause it to have no forward engagement? Cuz everything else looks good. Except for the input drum which you can see in clip 7 is quite loose, butt gonna replace those as well.

grcauto

That will definitely keep you from moving. That's a full roller and not a sprag. It's bad. You should download that manual and get the stuff they recommend when rebuilding it. It will help you identify problems and help you determine if hard parts, like the drum, need replacing.
The last thing you want to do is to have to pull it again.

AZilla83

That will definitely keep you from moving. That's a full roller and not a sprag. It's bad. You should download that manual and get the stuff they recommend when rebuilding it. It will help you identify problems and help you determine if hard parts, like the drum, need replacing.
The last thing you want to do is to have to pull it again.
Thing is Im on a tight budget, my brudda. Can't really afford $100 for a hoist or even $30 + for a book. I'm replacing everything with used parts pulled from the junkyard. Learn everything I do off YT watching teardowns & rebuilds + from Forums like these with very helpful advice from pros with more experience & know how, like you! :) was actually just at the junkyard but had to cut it short with no parts cuz I injured my back trying to manhandle a hoist with flats... ER now, butt will post a clip of the results in a cpl days.

grcauto

Thing is Im on a tight budget, my brudda. Can't really afford $100 for a hoist or even $30 + for a book. I'm replacing everything with used parts pulled from the junkyard. Learn everything I do off YT watching teardowns & rebuilds + from Forums like these with very helpful advice from pros with more experience & know how, like you! :) was actually just at the junkyard but had to cut it short with no parts cuz I injured my back trying to manhandle a hoist with flats... ER now, butt will post a clip of the results in a cpl days.
Take care of yourself.

bp042665

hunting nut
ok hold drum 678 and see if you can spin the gear inside it also that is a roller sprag and it dont move in drum if you put it together with 678 drum it should free wheel 1 way and hold the other way

AZilla83

ok hold drum 678 and see if you can spin the gear inside it also that is a roller sprag and it dont move in drum if you put it together with 678 drum it should free wheel 1 way and hold the other way
Like this? Clip 10