Ford
Model
F-150 2WD
Year
Miles
unk
Engine
4.2L V-6
I had to go take a fresh battery to my son last night, meter shows no output at the stud on back of alt. I would like to check out wiring and such before throwing a new alt at it. Please post a schematic of the charging circuit, enough for me to test voltages at the alt connector. DO NOT go to great trouble to provide this, I can probably get by without, but always like to have the best info on hand. Even if it is only a VR/brushes, it will probably get a new alt. VR's are in the $60 range and I know a place to get a good new alt for $73 (delivered).

billr

wrench
Staff member
It is completely stock. Looking mainly for what is connected to the field/VR so I can make sure alt field is being energized properly. I see the VR has and external "ground to test" terminal, I assume that will bypass the VR and force full output when grounded; but the field supply would have to be OK for that to work.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
i cannot fault this logic

It is completely stock. Looking mainly for what is connected to the field/VR so I can make sure alt field is being energized properly. I see the VR has and external "ground to test" terminal, I assume that will bypass the VR and force full output when grounded; but the field supply would have to be OK for that to work.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Cancel my request. The connector could not be reached with the alt installed, and once it was removed the problem was obvious; the brushes and slip-rings are ruined.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
slip-rings are ruined.
shyte, I missed that.

Disregard last post if rings are too shot that emory cloth dont work, probably going to need a new unit. But knowing you, you will figure it out.

Again, happy new year to you and you significant other and family.

;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I remember doing a few of these back when I was apprenticing, but cant for the life of me find anything in my area that actually sells these.

Cool video you can watch on mute. :p

Of note, it is a valeo alt, but procedure is basically always the same regardless. But where do you find them is the all glowing question. Maybe make your own, ;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
question, in that vid, is that a dublin accent? I am not sure. My french has hard time with accents cuz I dont think it is punjabi or something similar.

billr

wrench
Staff member
It is a stock (95A?) alt. Yes, I could fabricate and install new slip rings, but I would still need new brushes and would have to make them too, or get a new VR/brush "set". Since the VR/brush seems to be about $40-50 alone, and I can get a whole new alt (including shipping) for about $75, fussing with this one isn't worthwhile for me. Actually, I probably will fuss with it, but as a leisure project. I may turn it into a 3-ph PMAC motor to experiment with.