Any comments, good or bad about Walbro Fuel Pumps?

N

NickD

Claim they are high output, biggest noted difference is price, for the Supra, $220.00 for OE, $83.00 for the Walbo. Not jacking mine up to 550 HP like the Walbo claims it can handle, state the OE is much weaker, ha would end up in jail. Keeping it stock.

Jim Davis

they made mostly small engine carbs and such for years but did make fuel modules for Chrysler too.

Paul

I'm The Decider
I know one of the fuel pumps I replaced in my 90 Ford Truck was made by Walbro.It lasted maybe 5 yrs.It was a Motorcraft part so at least for awhile Ford used them.I dont recall a name on the last one I replaced in 01.

N

NickD

Have been playing with the old pump with a current limited power supply after dumping in varnish remover, is freeing up a bit and runs a bit longer each day. But has a long way to go yet. Would be nice if it would free up so I can least drive the car into my work garage, as it is, will have to find a couple of strong guys to help me push it.

Would also be nice to test the fuel pressure, Toyota has a special one where the manifold end looks like the caliper end of a GM brake line, just have a conventional fuel pressure tester. Probably will just stick with Toyota parts, but dying to take the old pump apart first and learned why it seized. Either several commutators are coated with varnish, or have shorted turns in some of the armature coils, both will cause a high pulse current, and that is what I am seeing from the outside, but have to see what's going on in the inside.

N

NickD

Talked to a shop owner in northern Michigan, he tells me that ethanol gas has been a boom to his replacement electric fuel pump business. Did a little web searching and learned that with studies, the ethanol sucks up moisture that tarnishes the motor armature causing lock up, can also short out the commutators that I believe is my problem as the motor is trying to run, but only dare apply about five volts to it, any higher and the current skyrockets upwards to 30 amperes.

I e-mailed Walbro and asked them if their pumps are corrosion resistant, no reply as of yet. Am I the only person with this ethanol fuel problem? Perhaps I should drain my tank for winter storage. That is contrary to FAA regulations for storing an aircraft, fuel tanks must be topped off to prevent condensation from forming. New game, new rules?