Any Generac experts here?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
just bumping this thread, any luck yet on that voltage reg?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
as for quincy, check these guys out. Or check my other link after. I once hooked up a kickstarter kit like that on a old devilbiss 3hp single phase, worked like a charm. Might be worth a look.

The kick start kit is usa , houston I think.

anyway here is a link.

billr

wrench
Staff member
The Quincy air compressor is located and wired up now. I had to buy a new (5 hp) motor for it. It is a very quiet unit, but won't run that often. With a 120 gal tank charged to 175 psi, I should have "unlimited" air now. I still need to run some air lines around my shop/garage.

Back in December it was decided that the generator going back to my friend (going to his nephew, actually) would get a new VR. The order had some difficulties and ended up costing $$$, but I got it a week ago. With the new VR installed, I ran my shop on the generator for a couple of hours and now have it sitting waiting to be picked-up. I may go along on the delivery to help get it connected and convey all knowledge I have gained.

The other generator, the one I am keeping, has been re-wired considerably to bypass the inop control board and just generally simplify the unit. I still have no VR for it, but am working on developing my own design. The heart of the VR needs to be a "buck" SMPS (switch-mode power-supply), and that is challenging me. However, what I am learning would be useful to me if I ever get an old Bolt EV and need to replace/revise the motor controller stuff.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Billr, as usual, you are an inspiration.

and that is challenging me

Honestly, I don't think anything challenges you. That is a compliment BTW. ;)

I have no idea what a "buck" SMPS is. Maybe I am just not getting the acronyms. My mind want to go to BMS. in a bolt, the bms (battery management system) relays on a step up and step down system to avoid arcing of the main relays.

So, if in case I am in left field on this one, plz correct me, I am most willing, as my arse is on the line for compensation, and I really NEED to understand this concept.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yes, that Wikipedia article describes what I am talking about.