Any idea what this is? Ever see this

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
My guess would be some sort of fire retarding lining some rodent used to make a nest. You usually find this under the car above things like the catalytic or down pipe/manifold. Try to see if you can see some pieces missing from the under carriage. These lining are famous under mazda's and this is basically a mazda.

If this is the case, try cleaning it out as best as you can and see if any damage was done to harness's and surround wiring. Rodents like to chew, especially if mazda still used soy base insulation on copper wiring. I am pretty sure the still do.

If you suspect this, honda makes an anti rodent harness tape made of some sort of cayenne pepper or chili peppers, .

If you think I am shitting you, read this, and then go see my other link for spicy tape. https://www.howtopreventratsfromeatingcarwires.com/2017/02/10/does-your-car-have-soy-based-wiring/

https://www.amazon.ca/Blocker-Mouse...X9S93PQF8FP&psc=1&refRID=R69D1DECBX9S93PQF8FP

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Try setting fire to the stuff, if it is was I think it is, it is fiber glass and won't catch fire. Widely used under mazda and some others. ;)

Question, what does SHV mean in this application?

billj

MR BILL
Website
www.billjohnson.info
SHV should be SUV. I did an earlier edit but it did not take I guess.

I have heard of soy base copper wire, so chili pepper tape makes sense.

I will pull the front bottom splash pan tomorrow and see what I can find.

THANKS nickb2

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
pack rat issues looks like to me. wintertime nesting.
Yeah, we got hit hard last night and today, knock out close a million households for power. We worked all day off heavy generator, but billing and databases went down.

So scanning cars on LTE network was a real blast and very time conuming and stupid. So at the end of day, I eneded up doing winter tires with the front bay shop guys. ;) Now I remember why I got high sometimes on site, seesh, was a tedious and hard job.

-2centigrade now, good thing it stopped hailing.

Rat and field mice looking for a new home. Today, a treat, a 18foot cadillac, 1990ish, carb was gunked, would spew raw gas, MAP went silent. Found one surprisingly up here in about 2 hrs, old man was on his way with his white walls.

Got to love this job, even if the pay sucks for the hard work we do. It is a passion. If it ain't, being a plumber sure pays the bills better for less investment in learning curve and tools. ;)

billj

MR BILL
Website
www.billjohnson.info
I suppose if I tell you the fall weather is here in Florida you may call me a not so nice of a name. At 5:00 AM it is 67 degrees Fahrenheit (about 20 degrees C) and the high today will be about 78 F (26 C). That is about normal for this time of year. I am originally from Wisconsin, so I have seen minus 25F (minus 32 C) with a minus 50F wind chill and snow. And I have changed a auto battery outside at minus 10F. So I have lived both worlds. Oh yes, and cranking up the snow blower at 4:00 AM to dig out the driveway....miss that one.

Down south a buddy opened his 1937 Ford coupe with a 283 Chevy in it hood to find a rattle snake coiled up. Think twice before opening your hood.

Up here with my old motorhome, removing the engine cover, top of the engine was covered with acorns every spring from the squirrels. Sure don't want to use green Christmas light decorations outside, rabbits will chew it up. They don't bother white.

I suppose if I tell you the fall weather is here in Florida you may call me a not so nice of a name. At 5:00 AM it is 67 degrees Fahrenheit (about 20 degrees C) and the high today will be about 78 F (26 C). That is about normal for this time of year. I am originally from Wisconsin, so I have seen minus 25F (minus 32 C) with a minus 50F wind chill and snow. And I have changed a auto battery outside at minus 10F. So I have lived both worlds. Oh yes, and cranking up the snow blower at 4:00 AM to dig out the driveway....miss that one.

Still in Wisconsin, still cold, brother and sister moved to Florida, sister made out okay with that last hurricane, brothers house took a beating. Mostly all water damage.

Wife's cousin lived a bit north of Jacksonville, had a nice yacht and home on the coast, with the last hurricane decided to move inland.

billj

MR BILL
Website
www.billjohnson.info
Live inland, Orlando area. Rode out Hurricane Carlie full force. Had an area where 200 truck loads of uprooted and damaged trees were piled up by the county near us. Pulled out some sidewalks along with the tree roots. All our streets were blocked. Fired up the gas grill and cooked breakfast, had the neighbors coming for coffee and to cook.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This morning, I had a ford escape in for some routine stuff, plugs, filters, winter shoes, and a license plate corroded socket and something else, let me think, oh, yeah, link kits and rear brake lubrication which ended up being a full rear overhaul coming next week cuz both rear calipers were seized. Yes, still using last decades aluminum calipers with same desing, but instead, took off physical parking brake and used cheap ass electric motors that actually crack and seize up with our rough salt and slush. Like I will always say, Buy a car with no frills for the north. But the manufacturers don't care. They sell the units out of the box full nowdays. I don't want or need a back up camera, it will just disintegrate with in a few yrs or months even without the road grime and such. It is all shenzhu stuff anyway/

But law is even now against us having no frill cars. It sucks, and as a consumer, I should have the option, to have less or more options. But it is a throw away world now. I continue to drive a 2003 echo, only thing special about it, it has door locks which work like a beemers, those quit after a few yrs up here. Funny thing is, when I flick the key in the drivers door key hole, it unlocks ALL doors, go figure. Two out of four won't lock or unlock with the cheap center console dual action rocker switch designed by walt disney, cuz the damn things weren't designed to last as long as the actual car itself, which is bullet proof. I sure as heck ain't going to fix that cuz it WAS an option I didn't want anyway, it came broken with the car I paid 200$ for in the first place.

Anyway, off topic as usual back to thread.

Now when I saw the work order, I timidly thought of yours. It is a 2014, but this was a 2017 with a 1.5l.

You have the 1.6l.

Anyway, could not find enough similarities in the design change to take pictures. But I sure was hopeful.

Of note, it is a 2017, and had 106k km's on it. Fleet suv, so so maintained. Doesn't look like these escapes are going to hit the 400k km mark easily like a toyota. Gonna take alot of maintenance. Just a heads up at you for your 2014, these really need to be well maintained to expect some serious miles out of them. I am not knocking your car, just sayin, as a expert, or so I THINK I am.

However, the plugs did still seem good, even for oem at 100k.

But going back to my original idea, when the suv was on hoist, I saw that the heat sheilds are ALL metal molded/stamped sheet, and not the stuff you found in your hood. They did a better job with the newer models. So sadly, no pics. But hey, this is a fun thread. It has all a car buff needs. A question which leads to rat, mice, squirrels, and hurricanes winters and gas station mayhem. :D

Last edited:

billj

MR BILL
Website
www.billjohnson.info
The 2005 Escape we have is much more vehicle then the 2014. 2.3 liter in the 2005, hard engine to work on, but at 115,000 miles compression test is strong, 205 -215. I got hit in the rear end a few months ago. A 90's Taurus hit the rear steel beam of the 05 Escape and slid under. I had to replace two plastic bumper cover clips, the Taurus looked sad. The girl driving the Tautus stood there with her mouth open. Only bells are keyless lock, that sets off alarm by itself to the delight of all my neighbors, power windows, cruise. Oh, I took the locking gas door mechanism off a Mazda and installed it. That is one thing about inland Florida, I can run the car 200,000 miles with good care. I had an injection cleaning done on the 2014 Escape at 65,000. Fuel pump replaced on recall. Battery replaced by the shop I barter with (hell of a place to put a battery). Brake pads all around (front ones dusty...semi-ceramic?). Talk about off topic, huh? But fun :cool: